Friday, October 05, 2007

Peripheral Vision

Ive been away. On a journey, far and wide i have traveled, and now i am back. Where have i gone, many would love to know, but yet much more would already expect what ive to say. I shall not throw more hints, or none to start with. Im finally done with Tolkien's book. He has brought my mind abroad over to unknown pastures and stretched my world of imagination beyond its scope. Far off has my mind wandered, yet lonely at times. However, im glad that i found myself someone who bought the same book, SiHan. Fortunately or unfortunately, i dun think he has gotten anywhere near me. I started off 2 weeks before he bought his, and i dun think 2 weeks would be enough for him to finish the book, for i think he is still bound in the first volume. Well, its good that he enjoys reading, slowly, so that he can absorb every word and probably some of their literal meaning. He thinks that Sam, Frodo and Boromir are gays.

Theres too much to explain, and i shant bother to vomit here, because i dun think many who reads would enjoy scruntinising my puke, to find abit of something for their awe. So, lets leave aside the story of Tolkien's.

How's life? Great. Im currently preoccupied with my history presentation, which has been 'postponed' forward. It was brought forward, due to some 'unknown' reason. So, i'll have a week now to complete my history presentation, also my vocal and instrumental teaching presentation which would be due on the same week. Did i say great or what? I talked over the phone with friends to check gather information for my presentations, made time for dinner and some friendly conversations too. From many, including Pearly, also known as LimChooLi, my dear teacher, and also SamuelWong, Anthea and ShuMin that i have gathered enough information, as i deem, for my presentation next week. Im well equipped! To war!

I had a good time performing with many people throughout this period. Bonds were made, friendship woven and new perspectives raised. Ive been running around with Rit quite often, performing with other fellow musicians. Firstly, i enjoyed my time at CentrePoint over at Orchard. We performed for 3 weeks, and our news was like a spark on dry leaves, spreading like a wild fire into ears of other fellow musicians. Many would gossip, as inevitably, and many would inquire much more. There was Rit, JiaBin, Joel and Jonathan who i worked with for that 3 weeks. There were misunderstandings, trouble and quite abit of upset. But overall, i believe it was an experience for all.

Jessica had a performance at Sentosa and she asked me over to watch. So i went over, and after which, i went to a recording session of her's. It was an experience for me, also on that day came along a journalist, Jane. I was interviewed, and its kinda fresh for me, because i seldom get questioned other than those from DrTan and DrKan. Anyway, along that same period of time, i went Sentosa quite often. My second trip was to perform with XianYang, BangHao and LaiShun for a hotel's event. It was pitched at the beach, very beautifully lit with many lights of different colours. It much resembled the festival of the seventh month. And my last trip there was with Rit, Moses and LeeNa, the YangQin player. We performed for a show for merely 10 minutes. The event was huge. Imagine the amount poured into the function. It was pitched by the beach, and the long stretch of road was laid with cones of candle. The whole beach was their's, and the tents were huge and it contained hundreds of tables. All of the guests were Caucasian, and the Asian dwelt in the kitchen, served the tables, danced and played. Well, just how the world should be, right? So, there were many performing groups, and its all filled with the diversity of cultures. The performances were enhanced by the pink, purple and brightly, yet not glaring, coloured lights. Moreover, the sound crew and the cameras were all very professional. It was the best experience to wrap up the day for my last Sentosa performance for the month. Thomas brought us in, and after that he fetched us out to Vivocity, where we had supper and met up with Moses' friend, Rosie. We had supper till late, and lucky for me, i caught the last bus home. Thanks to Iris, the new phone service which informs me of the arrival of the buses.

Edwin and i recorded a few pieces already. I invited him over to NAFA to record the pieces together, for that i thought he would have the facility in his school for us to use. Well, sometimes its beyond my thought and what i thought would be. I hope this turns out well. Cheers!

Hopes are dashed to and fro. Our friendship has been on the rocks, yet on meadows at most times. Well, im at a loss of words right now. I dunno what to say about it, though i do know what ive been telling myself. Theres a whole chunk of it stuck in my mind, its so loud and unbearable, yet silent when it comes to my mouth. I utter not the emotions, for i think its beyond words, and only beyond words can it save us now. Dark faces thrown here and there, and nobody can live in delight for such times. Though laughter and chilly jokes can mend gaps, its only temporal. If we were to freeze time, and cut them into different layers, maybe we can find much joy in our bond. Yet, reality strikes hardest. Guess that u only have peripheral vision.

Well, im back and yet theres so little for me to say. Mainly due to my attachment with my emotions, which i cannot find any suitable for words to decode. Theres too much going on inside, but yet the world revolves so slowly around the sun. Time flies, but yet living in its process, i doubt its moving at all.

Ive finished my book. Ive been eating up my time, reading away on my bed with a lamp. Often i would devour a few chapters before turning myself in. But often it'll haunt me in my dreams while i digest the story and the concepts inside. Even now, after reading through the book, i can only admit that some parts were merely scanned. Why? I read word for word, but i did not look deeper in his poetry. And i have not touched on his appendixes, and its bibliographic nature. By the way, much has been revealed to me, for i find so much truth in Tolkien's fiction. Thats the word, truth in fiction. Theres so much to relate to the real world. Saruman, the Ents, the Hobbits, the purpose of the Istari, Sauron and the Exiles.

Well, i encourage all to pick up this book. In fact, its selling for only $32 at Kinokuniya, for its the 50th anniversay edition, with all the three volumes in one, with also the index and appendixes. So, dun worry, get one now! Its kinda bulky, and sadly, mine is in a bad state now. I think it had gone through the war of the ring itself, probably kept in Sam's sack, and brought to the peril of Doom, and back to the Shire.

Whateva!