Friday, July 06, 2007

Febrile Disease

We played a piece which we'll be playing for the amphitheatre performance during the workshop with DavidRamadanoff. It turned out quite messy, so... we ran through it again after breakfast. I love the weather and i think the temperature was just right. I could wear as normal, and i could wear more without sweating. The air was dry and cool, making my face less oily too.

We boarded the coach after moving the instruments into the truck. We're having an outdoor performance at DarlingHabour. I hope u guys remember where DarlingHabour is, because ive mentioned it many times already. There wasnt much time for me to walk round DarlingHabour. That day, i shopped around at CircularQuay, which many did too. However, its DarlingHabour where i wanna do my shopping.

The coaches were confused with the location for us to alight. We're told that the amphitheatre was kinda far from our drop off point, meaning that we'll be shifting our heavy instruments all the way by manpower till the amphitheatre. We had no choice, after driving around and around, we alighted at the same area. The guys took care of the instruments, while the girls carried the smaller ones like Pipa, Ruan and ErHu. Whateva it is, the power of Xavier was strong. Its no use denying his powers for that its too mighty for us to withhold. Some pushed the drums, carried the heavy GeHu and quite a few were needed for the JianGu. I was pushing the drum, carrying the YangQin and GuZheng stands. Not at once of course.

I must admit that the other guys were all very helpful and they did much more than me. I stood there with my jaw dropped when i saw the amphitheatre. Its really amazing. Really.

Now, i know u can sense the sarcasm. Its really pathetic, its like this 2 tents. Thats all! The impression of an amphitheatre would be large white tents, with a dented performance ground and moreover, a place large enough for an orchestra.

After moving the instruments, we had to wait for the band to complete their set before ours. Now, we're already kinda late, and the band was still performing? Its an Australian band, no wonder. Their own people, their place, their call. The sky wasnt merciful, it started drizzling. I took the chance to quickly get our instruments tuned before it starts falling. From ears to mouth and mouth to ears, message passed quickly that MikeChiang is cutting down the orchestra for the performance. They told me that only 3 Pipa was needed, so... i thought that i'll tune their Pipas and just watch the performance, because it doesnt matter to me whether i perform or not. In the end, Geneviene told me that she'll be playing the drums for an item, so she wouldnt mind not playing. I thought that Kartika should perform because she's under NYPCO, and its her experience. As for YanJun and Angeline, i knew that they would wanna perform too. So, i gave up my seat, however... Kartika insisted that i take her place. Just in case if u dunno, there were 5 Pipa players, and the seating would be 2 to 3. The 2 infront, being Geneviene and i. Geneviene takes the principal seat because im just a guest musician. As for the 3 at the back, YanJun, Angeline and Kartika. YanJun and i were just helping out.

So, YanJun and Angeline both sat beside me during the performance. It was already drizzling heavily, the drums were all wet, but MrChiang told them to just whack it hard. MrChiang had to stand in the rain to conduct us. Angeline had a heatpad inside her sweater, by the sleeve to keep her hand warm. I was freezing, because its drizzling and the wind by the habour blew really strongly. YanJun was shivering, but the excitement from our final piece brought back warmth. By the end of the performance, i quickly kept my instrument and headed to find my bag.

My sweater was on the floor, while my bag was exposed to the rain. Despite the rain, many stayed to watch our performance by the stairs. Many were holding umbrellas, while some were busy with their camera recorders. We're glad to perform for them.

The instruments were moved back the way it was brought there. With the help of a small truck, it brought the heavier instruments to the drop off point. I stayed behind to help out which led to an horrible experience which i will never forget. We'll get to that...

Since its raining, the animals at the TarongaZoo would be hiding in their enclosures. Nobody rejected to the change of plans though i would really wish to visit the zoo. One of the reason would be the HabourBridge, which we would drive across if we were to travel by coach. If not, we'll take a ferry to TarongaZooFerryWharf. TarongaZoo is the city zoo of Sydney. It is located on the shores of SydneyHabour in Mosman. It is divided into eight zoogeographic regions with numerous indoor pavilions and outdoor exhibits, making it one of the largest of its kind. Another last reason would be for the sake of the koalas! The freaking cute koalas! My goodness!

We headed back to the hotel. The day before, we were told that there'll be a storm, so many of us heading back to the hotel to grab more clothings. Before the workshop we were walking through the winds at the city area. It was really freezing, with the cold winds blowing hard against our face and many of us were rubbing warmth out of nothing. We were tortured. In order not to allow such things to happen again, i went back to the hotel to get myself changed.

I wore less! Come on, we're going shopping instead of the zoo, and i think its alright to wear lesser because malls wont be that unreasonably cold. BondiJunction was where we're heading too. We missed out BondiBeach that day, and since we're at BondiJunction, the beach would be just a distance away. Its winter, but activities will still go on by the beach. Its running late, so i thought i'll give it a miss. At BondiBeach, people would surf and tan. Despite the winter season, many would still head to the beach for the warmth of the sun. Now, its only in such cold countries that i'll appreciate the warmth of the sun, or understand what it really is like. In Singapore, with the warmth of the sun, we're already heated like roasted nuts on concrete floor. By the corner of the beach, theres a club called BondiIcebergs. Its a winter swimming club! How cool right?

Whateva it is, the coach drove us to the mall. Its huge, nothing else but massive space. In the mall, we were greeted with many signs. They were all branded crap on discount! My eyes grew wild, franticly rolling around. Firstly, theres FCUK, which i missed at CircularQuay. However, we were following another group, and we went for dinner first. Since its impossible for me to dine at Sydney's famous seafood restaurant, Doyles, i'll have my serving of seafood at their foodcourt.

Its a huge mall, we didnt wanna get lost. We played safe by using their guide. Its a computer programme and it shows exactly how to get there by displaying a computerised directory guide. I was amazed by their technology... and it really saddens me how Singapore is like. I think Singapore is urbanised already, but to an extent that they think its enough. We found our way to the foodcourt, but we took the escalator up again because we didnt see the foodcourt. Well, i followed the shepard but i thought i saw the foodcourt. Its a huge area with tables separated out evenly, making it comfortable to the eyes even. Its bloody elegant can? Such a stylised foodcourt? Im embarrassed for Singapore. The rich use of brown and white gave it a very classy look. The stalls were grand and very well ornamented. There was Singaporean food, Japanese food and quite a huge selection ranging from sandwiches to their seafood cuisine. Many stopped by to feast their eyes on the seafood. My eyes were stapled on their freezer, staring straight at the lobsters, prawns, oysters and scallops. I was drooling for their baby octapus salad, which drew more of my attention than anything else. While many of them took their orders, i was hesitating with mine. ShaoLong, a Bass GeHu player, waited with me. I knew he wasnt sure what to order either, due to the wide selection, theres really too much to choose. I wanted everything! But if i were to have everything, i'll be broke.

Many of them were given this blue coloured machine, with an appearance of a common remote control. I was given one too when i ordered by lobster mornay. I couldnt wait, i headed back to our long table and many started chatting about their food. YiRui ordered the most expensive dish, the seafood platter, and someone else ordered the fried version. Mine started to buzz, so i walked towards the counter to recieve mine as well as ShaoLong's. If Singapore would have this system, there'll be lesser queues but more aunties stealing the device home.

Mine was served white sauce flavored with grated cheese and seasonings, of course with an additional baby octopus salad which i requested with additional AUS3. In total, my meal cost me around AUS23. GuoWei took a piece each from mine and YiRui's, while ChaiXia sat beside me, eating my salad. I could tell that she wanted my lobster badly, but since she didnt dare to ask... i kept quiet and waited for her to ask. In the end, she didnt... and i finished my lobster. I even licked up every single mornay sauce from the empty shell. She took the limb of the lobster and extracted some meat from there. Poor thing...

I forgot! I had to take a picture with my lobster mornay, so i took some used vegetables from GuoWei's meal and decorated my salad. I put some used sauce on my dish and turned the lobster shell over. Thus, creating my very own lobster mornay, only looking kinda bad. After having our meal, some sat to chat while some were eager to move on.

We were travelling in a huge group, and i thought we have to split. So, we did split! We went our own ways, only to realise that Jasmine would rather follow KaiWen and gang. I didnt care, i just needed some time to shop for myself. ChaiXia followed me, with Damien and his friend. Damien was opposing the idea of having us going alone without the company of at least 4 to 6. Well, i know things could happen, but i needed space.

We shopped, and i bought myself a sweater. After walking around, we met a few other people. I'll cut out on some of the shopping details, but i bought a shirt for Christoven and QingLun. I knew somehow that Christoven would buy me something from USA, so i thought of him while buying a shirt for QingLun, who bought me nothing! Useless jerk! Anyway, i thought it would suit him, but... on second thought now, i think its kinda ugly. How?

I followed a group of people who led me to a candy store. I bought 5 jars, but i needed more... just that my decisions were holding me back. MrChiang kept telling me not to let my decisions hold, because once we're back in Singapore, its impossible to get them anymore. Other than that, i also thought of Jwen and Evan. They're always constantly making cards and giving chocolates, so it'll be nice to get them something. YanJun told me that there's some little accessory shop, which's selling cheap. So i bought some banglets for them. Whats a banglet? I dunno what to call them, they're like bracelets. But they bang around and they make quite a lot of noise... so i call them banglets. Whateva, its kinda ugly to think of it, but nevermind... i hope they'll like it! At least i bought something back alright! Now, was it Audrey who told me to buy strawberry naugets?

We headed back to the hotel after shopping by train. We were travelling in the huge group again, we met up at the mall. Shopping at WestfieldBondi was great. In fact, its Thursday, late night shopping throughout Sydney, except for some in the CBD area. Shopping closes at 5 usually, late night shopping closes at 9! How great? Great shopping experience...

We bought our tickets, headed back to KingsCross station, which is located just beside our hotel. The tickets were expensive, made me wonder how expenses would be like in Sydney. We waited at the platform and soon, the train came. Once we entered the train, there were 2 stairs, one leading up and the other, down. We walked up, usually the direction of a curious passenger, and we took a seat on the upper cabin. Its kinda cool how the train was designed. Before choosing to sit on the upper or lower cabin, theres an area for passengers to stand. Mostly, people with their bikes, luggages or heavy bags would stand there. Kinda cool right? In Singapore, its one straight cabin. Whoeva it is, everybody would just squeeze together. Makes things easier for the terrorists right? One bomb, all die. Alright, alright, its the same for Sydney's i guess...

Its merely 2 stops, and we're at KingsCross. How sad. I wished for more stops so that i could enjoy a longer ride. I was feeling kinda uneasy at that moment. Here comes the pain! In my room, i took a seat on my bed and looked down at my feet. I closed my eyes for a moment and felt the world spinning inside. I knew then, im having a fever. Before so, ive heard of 2 person who was sent to the hospital nearby our hotel. St.VincentHospital is located just down the road, but kinda far for a sick person to walk to. They took a cab there, and i was kinda jealous that they could take a cab! I know, its unhealthy thinking. Im just joking, but im really not in the mood for a fever.

Even though im having a headache, i went exploring KingsCross with KaiWen, Koen and ShaoLong. It was dangerous, thrilling and exciting. Its my first time wandering off like that, and the thought of robbery really made the little journey more blood tingling than JamesBond. Well, there wasnt anything much than what ive read or heard before. Its just an experience real life, other than that... i wasnt quite impressed. We walked out and back our hotel, hoping not bump into any known strangers.

They asked if i would wanna go for a drink with them. Im kinda beat out already. I didnt take a shower, because i was not feeling quite well. Contradicting, isnt it? I closed my eyes and tried to take a rest. I knew it then, im in serious trouble.

MrChiang has constantly reminded me to take care of myself. He told me that if i fall sick, it'll be kinda sad because falling sick during a trip would make things uneasy for me. Its not the little clothes that i wore, but i knew it... its the rain at DarlingHabour. One leads to another... and sooner or later, i need another hand to point my fingers.