Monday, July 02, 2007

Woolloomooloo

Before flying, i had fun with QingLun, who kept his promises. No! Only half of it. He came over to my house, and Dedric too... on different days. They both came over to watch some movies. QingLun, remember to keep ur promise!

I just realised that my previous post was empty. Well, guess what? Im back! Im so glad to be back. Obviously not... because ive to suffer such great weather in Singapore. Honestly, ive really planned a whole summary of the trip, just that my head is kinda spinning now... due to the heat, and some other issues which u will learn of later, and so... im gonna just do this briefly like i always do. Smile.

I packed my luggages, though still wondering whether to bring my duck along. Well, i thought that he wont like it in Sydney. I was surprised though at the airport that many people brought along their teddies. I should have brought my duck! Damn it! But they were all mostly girls. Alright, they were indeed all girls! Good that i didnt bring. Bless me.

It was a pleasant flight to Sydney. Looking out towards the window so far away, im only troubled with blessings that i feel that i do not deserve. Before flying, i took the initiative to call each and everyone of them. My grandparents, the only 2 old couple i love the most, the most important call ive to make. I even had time to prank call SiHan, who was foolish enough to fall for it. Another would be QingLun, who was smarter, he was playing his computer games at that moment... Lastly, the must call, the call that i'll feel most worried to make, a call back to Mom to tell her that i'll be flying. I can understand how shes feeling... and i really have to thank her for all these years of trust. Of course, for her support financially too. Sometimes, these feelings are just hidden in the walls of ur heart, theres no need to express it out, u know and i know, and thats for just us to remember.

The city lights faded into the silent night. The sound of the craft echoed in my ears, while my head started spinning with thoughts about my dear Sydney. Well, somehow... i felt like ive been there before, though honestly, its my first time flying over to Australia. I can already imagine the streets, the attractions, the sun and the clear picturesque image of Sydney. My research before flying always leave me more space to expect, and even more to surprise myself with.

I listened to music from my handphone, while keeping it in flight mode. Ive intended to keep it that way for the rest of the trip, to avoid unnecessary calls or messages. Soon, its breakfast. The food was... as usual, airplane's standard. But, i had 2 portions, so i was satisfied. Well, the flight was smooth, and we arrived in Sydney shortly.

We're safe in Sydney, and have already been warned of the chill outside. I was wearing shorts, to keep myself comfortable during the flight, and slippers. So, i got into the restroom to get myself changed.

Australians are generally more friendly. This is questionable, because their casual greetings are already so friendly, unlike Singaporeans'. Somehow, i still think that Singaporeans' style of service is more fullsome. So, while getting my passport stamped, the guy was talking to me casually... asking questions which i really dun have to mood to play along with.

It took quite awhile for everybody to get ready with their luggages. Otherwise, its the heavy instruments which we've to tend to also. After gathering together, everybody was so excited, though i could only smell curiosity. I walked out of the airport. I closed my eyes slowly. I smiled.
I was greeted with the bright sun, with the chilling winter air. It was heaven! I got onto the coach, took the front seat and prepared to be dazzled. We moved to the hotel, which is located at Darlinghurst Street. CrestHotel, is situated at a convenient spot, between the busy nightlife and the peaceful residential area. Moreover, the train station is just beside the entrance. If i were to visit Sydney again, i'll stay around there, but not at CrestHotel. There are many backpacker's accomodation which provides shelter and food at a reasonable cost.

On our way to the hotel, i see many trees, stripped bare though not very tall. The roads were complex. Buildings in Singapore are growing vertically, however in Sydney, buildings spread across vastly and theres always a clear horizon. I just cant use the right words to describe its contours.

Our first stop was the hotel, where we left our heavy luggages at the lobby, while they get our rooms prepared. Next, we were sent to the destination where we most desired to be. The journey felt familiar, and once the driver touches on the history of Australia, it came to me that we're at MrsMacquarie'sChair. Its like a garden, or a park... which lies just opposite the SydneyOperaHouse, across the sea. MrsMacquarie'sChair is the only place where its possible to get the best view of the OperaHouse and the SydneyHabourBridge together in one single shot. The view was beyond my expectations. It was just too awesome! The wind was howling strong, blowing against our ears while many crowd along the edge to grab the best shot. I was just mingling around with my friends, getting a shot from my phone and from their cameras. Its kinda sad that ive only have my 3.2 megapixel camera phone, while others carry their digital cameras. No envy, they took some nice closeups for me. Before dropping at where we were, we drove past the ArtGallery of NewSouthWales. It is the leading museum of art in NSW and Sydney, and one of Australia's foremost cultural institutions. It looked old with many famous names carved outside its walls. It holds significant collections of Australian, European and Asian art. Its the kinda thing that attracts my nose...

The next stop was breathtaking, as the drive drove us through the city and to the bottom of the HabourBridge. It was a feast for the eye! I gazed upon the skyscrapers and worked my eyes through the streets, trying to remember the directions of a few stops which attracted my attention. There was the SydneyModernArtMuseum and of course... the area where the driver mentioned the location of Sydney's oldest bar. The whole stretch looked fantastic. The diverse architecture style fascinates me the most. Im intrigued by the modern designs as well as the grand baroque styles.

The stretches across the sea, linking towards NeutralBay. There, we took some really nice shots of the OperaHouse again and of course, the bridge itself. Though we're under it, the view certainly doesnt lose much to a bird's eye view. At the other end, which shouldnt be ignored, was the LunaPark. Its Syndey's only theme park, but it didnt stay on my list for long. There was more awaiting for us!

At these few stops, with my excitement, i felt kinda pulled down by my friends who were showing obviously great enthusiasm. I sat alone for awhile and thought about it... its my holiday, and im not here to entertain anybody but myself. So, i plucked my courage and left my friends. At Paddy'sMarket, which is located at Chinatown, i went on solo. The Paddy'sMarket is one of Sydney's major suppliers to the tourist with cheap stuff, ranging from clothings to homewares. I wasnt interested with anything in there at all, everything looked too common to my eyes. Come on, the clothings are selling at Bugis for cheaper prices! So, whats the point shopping there when we can get it at Bugis? I couldnt wait to get out.

I left, crossed the road and found myself at the heart of Chinatown. Exploring aint something which im always busy with, because theres nothing to explore in Singapore. Im urged to feed to my curiosity with the fresh new environment around me. Sussex Street led me further down till theres nothing Chinese left, which brought me somewhere more addictive. George Street leaves me no memory of shopping experience there. Till now, i'll still remember that street, because when we're shown around, i saw many outlets, shopping arcades and centres flashing their sales discounts! I walked all the way down George Street till i found a handsome and bold historical building. I had no idea what it was called then, but later found out that its St.Andrew's Cathedral, which is situated beside SydneyTownHall, where we'll be having our adjudication on our third day. The cathedral is the church of the Anglican diocese of Sydney, and the seat of the Anglican archbishop of Sydney and Metropolitan of NSW. Its consecrated in 1868, making it the oldest cathedral in Australia. It was perfect! A fine example of historical influences from European architecture styles. I ran across the road to take a picture with the view of QueenVictoria statue and the conical structures of the cathedral.

Walking back, and down the limb of Bathurst Street, i was clueless that im walking towards DarlingHabour already. From afar, i could already see the Chinese roofs of the Chinese Garden. The view of DarlingWalk was fantastic. Its the first place where i could really sit down to enjoy the seagulls. Did i not mention? In Singapore, there are crows. Big black crows, yes. However, in Sydney, they have seagulls. Big white seagulls, and yes they're noisy too. But look at the difference! By the way, its kinda obvious why there are seagulls, right? No need for further explanations, i'll move on. They are webbed foot and they walked funny. Dun tell me u dunno that seagulls are webbed footed? Alright, go read ur primary school science book!

So, while walking towards the Chinese Garden, i couldnt resist but to stop to watch the seagulls at play. Its required of an entrance fee for the garden, which stopped me from entering. No point for me to pay for something so Asian in Australia. I noticed some pigeons resting on the pagoda stones. The pigeons were sleeping, lethargic during winter i guess, and somehow much fatter than those in Singapore. Cuddling together, how cute?

There were signs of drizzle. I walked back to Chinatown to get some abalones for my grandparents. It was cheaper than Singapore, selling at AUS85 for 3 cans. Thats merely SGD36 or more per can. Its the first item i bought, and its already a freaking AUS180 plus in total. They are many HongKong people working there, because i heard many speaking in familiar tongues. Well, even those from China speaks good English. Shame on those in Singapore! Anyway, they're really cut out for business. The way they speak, the way they promote their items... its really professional. A weak heart like me really needs my Mom around to save me from those wicked tongues. So... i bought it all.

Everybody who saw my plastic bag would ask what i bought. Abalone would be my answer, and they'll be shocked... which comes with some laughter. I sat at the McDonalds, and watched how the seagulls and some cranes invades the customers sitting outdoors. Its scary! But definitely more glamorous than those in Singapore.

Had dinner at Chinatown. Chinese cuisine in Australia aint that bad too... In fact, theres about an Asian among 3 Australians. I think thats about the ratio, not exact obviously. So, it was on this dining table that i got to know more faces and learn more names. Koen, a Flute player i met earlier on the plane, because he was sitting infront of me, suffering a few of my kicks and nudges. He reminds me of Raymond.

Had our fills, while others had their fun. MikeChiang told us once that somebody played games over dinner and resulted in hospitalising one of the students due to overeating. We boarded the coach, and it brought us over to the OperaHouse. Its in the evening only, but its already as dark as night. The view as we were nearing was fantastic. The bridge was lit up, though not highlighting the whole structure, it weighs down the purpose of the HabourBridge as lesser of a major attraction though it already is. LunaPark however was glowing from afar. I took out my camera, deleted a song to give more allowance to the already limited memory space.

I couldnt wait, i ran up the broad stretch of stairs. I got closer to the arches, took a few shots, which featured the detailed texture of the tiles, the special effects of the lightings and the casting of the shadows. Its probably the largest attraction of Sydney, which gracefully sits at the sea. The idea of Sydney being a location near sea, it inspired Danish architect, JornUtzon, to design the OperaHouse and made the HabourBridge a necessity. It also carved out many the many little bays, as well as providing the sand to several beaches. And since Australians love their sea so much, the city has grown in all directions on its shores. I heard that the design of the OperaHouse was actually a competition. Well, anyway, after 14 years of construction, the structure was completed and officially opened in 1973.

We took our tickets and entered the OperaHouse. The concert hall reminded me strongly of our very own Esplanade. Well, its obvious that the Esplanade has many of her concepts taken from the OperaHouse. We took our seats, looked around and tried to fight the temptation to take photographs. U know, its the general rule that one should not take pictures in a concert hall and stuff. Im not sure about the rights and stuff, but the other groups were busy snapping away, even their very own Australian dudes. What to do?

Before the opening of the festival, there were many wierd objects on stage. There was a drumset, followed by a series of steel instruments, gold coloured. The curiosity almost killed me, but when the musicians stepped on stage, judging from their mallets, i can kinda imagine the sound it'll produce. The bottom of the steel instruments are dented into different sizes, which should produce different pitch. Thus, its just steel percussive pitched instruments. The bigger it gets, the lower it goes. Simple as that! The TorontoAllStarsSteelOrchestra is a youth orchestra, formed in 2000, and it has grown to become one of the most exciting musical ensembles in the city of Toronto, Canada. SalmonCupid is the musical director, leading the orchestra on the drumset. Steelpan players are energetic and enthusiastic. Their first performance shook up the whole atmosphere. The crowd started cheering, however, there's always a limit to how long a certain mood can maintain. Their pieces are generally around there, ranging from pop to repetitive stuff... with heavy body language and rhythmic grooves. The orchestra with the strength of 20 started off the concert.

TeachersChoirFromJin was set up in 1997, with the objective or enriching spare time and the spreading of enjoyment of music among teachers and the community. They posed some intonation problems, though it didnt bother me much. I was too tired after alighting the plane, walking about and touring the city, that i fell asleep till their last piece of music. The solo Soprano part woke me up. Well, its kinda beautiful, i loved it.

In between, there were several bands which were really bland for my taste. Both were Australian bands. Surprisingly, it has quite a good introduction, which hangs a cloud above their sound if ur there. I think they sounded bad. However, to end off the night, its SembawangWindOrchestra, which rose out of the fog created by the past few bands. They blew us off with their performance, and i specially enjoyed the Saxophone piece. While trying to stay awake, i realised... its Natalie on the Oboe!

After watching the concert, we headed back to bus. On the way, i took a shot of the OperaCafe with the OperaHouse. Its a masterpiece. If any of u wanna see it, just ask, i'll consider sending...

KingsCross, its kinda nearby. The ride back to the hotel wasnt long. MrChiang was discussing about the concert, and he told us that we'll be alright. As for myself, i think its a relief.

The keys were given out, and i'll be sleeping in the same room with YiRui and KaiYi. Im sure u guys wont know who they are. YiRui and KaiYi are Suona players. Meaning, i seldom mix with them, i dun really know them very well and of course, theres room for interaction. YiRui, being more quiet was balanced with a slightly more vocal KaiYi. This 2 jokers bring joy every night to my dreamland. I think i wanna thank them for being such good mates. And of course to our friendly neighbouring mates, GuoWei, KaiWen and Raymond.

I hate to shower because of the slow running water. Made myself comfortable in bed, tucked myself in, while looking out the window... disturbed by the noise outside. Did i mention? CrestHotel is located at the RedLightDistrict. For those who are underage, u might not know what that is... but let me explain briefly. It has stripclubs, hookers, adult toyshops and other unhealthy sex stuff. Was that too much? I guess not.

Its a weekend night, the music were pumping loud, and the some drunkards were fighting downstairs. Now and then, there'll be a police car passing by. Anyway, the cabs over there gave me an impression of the policecars. Its wierd...

Had fun for the first day, which holds the key for more excitement for the following days. But, we cannot forget that our main purpose there is to compete. Thus, rehearsals are part of our schedule on most days, before the adjudication.

So, after reading the first entry for the first day, i hope u guys are alright to come back for the second, third and forth. Well, i'll blog about some days together, so... no worries. Anyway, im already back in Singapore, on my last entry on my coming back, i'll update more about my current situation. For now, just read slowly... catch up with ur imagination, creativity and live through my Sydney experience with me again. Sit back, relax! Here we go again!