Friday, July 27, 2007

First Week

Its later than i thought. Its already the fourth day of school. Hows life? Hows school? The usual questions i hear around. Well, to be honest, i thought its kinda great. However, to be realistic, it sucks. Theres a difference there, if u dun get it. It doesnt matter, whats important is that i get to rest more and relax more than the previous year. So grateful for that! And of course, being blessed with friends around.

This is a busy week. Other than school, ive to handle with my rehearsals for CSCO. This Sunday, we'll be performing at SCH already. Guest conductor, HuBingXu, is so far one of the greatest ive seen. Back then, there was ZhangLie who i enjoyed his logical explanations very much. His temper was not thrown around like ive heard he would. Being merciful towards us, being an amateur orchestra, unlike his usual professional orchestras. Its his first time conducting an amateur orchestra, i hope he'll find something new with us, as we learn many other new things from him. U see, if theres an exchange, its a good bargain. However, if he finds us irritating and hard to teach, then... theres no good trading experiences between us and the conductor. So far, so good. The concert will definitely be awesome!

Not just the concert, this time round, my tickets sold has raised up to a few percentage. I remembered that i used to return the tickets in a full booklet. Im amazed myself how supportive some of my friends are. I did call up a few friends, messaged my relatives and reminded some of my fellow musicians. Well, the reply was pretty good. Fairul, a Malay Euphonium player, even agreed to come watch my concert. I know, its strage, but im elated to learn of that. QingLun bought tickets from me, my relatives bought the most and of course, my friends like Mark and Tommy bought from me too.

Talking about Tommy, recently... there was a concert held at VCH by SNYO. Tommy was featured as a concerto soloist for the YellowRiver Piano concerto. It was played very well. I think i mentioned that already... but well, no harm mentioning again! Im also quite dissapointed with the intelligence of the audience. They are not musically aware of anything, and yet they have the cheeks to bring out their ugly concert etiquette. Its really fascinating...

Its been quite a long time since i last blogged. I told myself that i'll start blogging up my life again. Slowly, it'll eventually bring sacred place back into a holy ground for many people. Well, the holidays have clearly slowed my pace...

The first day of school was horrible. We had to audition for the choir. What the hell? Yes. I had to sing this wierd tune from the Piano that DrGoh played. I told him i couldnt get the first note, and i was immediately sent to a 'B' choir. Whats that for? I dunno. But well, its obvious that those who got the notes were sent to the supposingly better choir, 'A' choir. So, some others were forced or asked to audition for the chamber choir, which would be held on Friday mornings. Im glad that i passed the audition. Not literally passed... but im happy its over. The size of the Chinese musicians are overwhelming. As compared with the past, i think im slightly happier with the current size. However, back then... theres its pros. Though the age gap is closing up, more immature situations of course would rise. Let me recall the new musicians who joined us this year. Theres Moses, who'll be in the second year straight with QingLun and ShuMin. In the first year, theres Clara and Sophy, the twins. Also, MinHui, Joe, Candy and Michelle. The unfamiliar faces would only be Joe and Candy. Well, it was easy to get along with them... and to get them to talk, because we're all so close already. Somehow...

I took up 2 more new electives. One of which would be MrYeo's and another would be composition, not by DrGoh this year. Its by this composer. Ive heard of his name, but i just cant recall where i heard it from. But well, its alright. DrTan is my favourite lecturer so far. Though i miss DrKan's sweet voice, im starting to enjoy DrTan's humour. She's so bubbly and cute. She'll laugh at her jokes, and its very tickling for a standard of a doctorate. U get what i mean...

MrYeo's performance class will begin next week after my concert. I'll be joining the first years. Great... how great... By the way, our ensemble conductor has changed to MajorTay. I looked forward to it, and on Wednesday, i had the privilege of witnessing things myself. Before that, i had a tough time understanding counterpoint. I knew MrLim for a long time. We knew each other when i met him in ACS, he was conducting the band there. Well, we're not that close, but its not that cold listening to him teach for the first time. There was this friendly warmth there, but still... the idea of counterpoint has sunken in, but it doesnt reflect in my homework. I had a hard time filling in my assessment. It was tough! Mark, LianWei and SiHan were all bothered by the irritating issues that were not mentioned by MrLim himself during class. But well, DrGoh told us its wrong. During our composition tutorial, we gave it to him for checking. Well... i should have just ignored everything and answered those questions with my knowledge of the mentioned rules and just pass it up to Mark.

Anyway, i wont wanna talk about the ensemble. This week, many little cracks were shown in between friendships and more clouds of doubt cleared with just a gentle wind. I blew them away a time ago, but they came back to me today. I feel so much lighter when i have u around. I think u saved my life... before i fall deep into the pits of depression once again.

Its been hard clambering up. I wish not to fall, but u know, fate is not in my hands. Its in your's...