Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Segue

Slept late, woke up late. Had lunch with my uncle downstairs before he fetches me to school. Well, its my oral exam today. Im quite prepared, but as usual... i screwed it up. Ive watched the opera many times, listening to ever aria, and read every single part of the story. Well, my effort got paid off with a few long pauses, many stuttering and quite a few clear mistakes.

Before entering into the room, SiHan was telling me that he's going to fail his oral exam, because he wasnt allowed to change his topic to talk about. In the end, he has to talk about modernism, which i think would be kinda tough to do it impromptu, because u wouldnt expect the unexpected silence, and the stress... So, he did it, but he wasnt happy with it. During our turn, we all entered together and chose to sit together. I sat beside Fairul, and on my other side, theres LianWei and YinXuan. Other than them, theres LuHeng, YongRui, YanYa, Amy and some who came in later, YuJing, LiuSha and FeiYang.

DrKan wanted somebody who reviewed an opera to start off. We pointed all at Fairul. So, he started off, talking smoothly, but with very complicating points which i dun understand at all. Till now, i dun understand whether the main character is the woman or a guy, but i heard something like a girl likes her or something, so im thinking... isit a lesbian opera? Anyway, i dunno the title, and i really cant picture everything. Well, he didnt stutter much unlike me, but he did have pauses, short ones.

It was my turn, my heart skipped 2 beats, and i started off with the naming of the characters as well as the librettists. DrKan was giving me this face, and i was just pushing myself faster and faster, i had to skip small sections, because 3 minutes is really very short! I started off the opera, with the introduction, and slowly... i felt my lines fading away into blankness. In my mind, those that ive rehearsed and read to myself had gone, and there was nothing left but just a vague memory of the opera. I tried grabbing words, and finding words to express myself, but it all revolved around the same old vocab. I thought, im so dead. I really wanted to just stop there and cry. But well, it has to go on. Sometimes, with a slight mistake in my statement, DrKan would open her eyes really big. Well, i was nervous, especially during the parts which i had to pause to think, because its just too quiet! She told us to tell a story like telling our friends, but... its just not possible when the mood is so intensified. I lost my points... and started stuttering. I scrambled my way through, till the final act, and DrKan interrupted and told me to finish it up. Well, i was getting there, i didnt cut any part of the opera, and continued with my story till the end. The last act is the shortest, because Puccini died and his music stopped then. By the way, the story was completed by someone else... so, if ur curious, i posted the story of 'Turandot', the opera by Puccini, at my previous post, yesterday.

LianWei was next, and he talked about Wagner's opera. Well, the story was slightly more interesting with swords and dragons. I could tell that he was kinda nervous too, with his tongue tied at some places, he was stuck with his ideas, and the wierd names of the dwarf and the dragon. Fairul was laughing somemore... Finally, YinXuan's opera is the best. He chose the famous opera, 'Phantom of the Opera'. Now, how unknown can that be? So, everybody knows about it... and YinXuan used good vocab! Instead of saying, they didnt believe it, he said... they didnt believe the shit. DrKan's reaction was shocked, and we all broke into laughters.

Well, LuHeng's was the best. He spoke with a doctor's voice, and could tell that he is the most intellectual one around. Well, he is a composer! Good excuse right? I admired YuJing's courage, she spoke about impressionism, but she couldnt speak English well. She pronounced every word slowly, every consonant, and she spent kinda long talking about impressionism. I spent more than 3 minutes, at least 10, talking about 'Turandot'. All of them were limited to around 5 minutes actually. But mine was exceptionally long... but DrKan didnt stop me. After FeiYang's topic on impressionism, too, we all were dismissed. Im glad that its finally over! Now, ive to worry with my aural work, my essay and my assessments. Yes, one more, concert attendance! I havent wrote any concert reviews yet! Im kinda done with the masterclasses already. I asked if i can review a masterclass, which is burnt into VCD, and she allowed me to. Im happy.

Left for Sunshine with YinXuan and LianWei. Fairul headed off to Bugis to meet his friend, so we headed for dinner. I didnt eat much, just a chicken and some bittergourd. After that, we headed for soya. On our way back, we met Rit, he was heading to get some soya. In the lift, we met Rit, he came back with soya. Its either we're slow, or he's fast.

So, i took my aural book, and borrowed the CD from JunRu. I think JunRu is really nice to keep lending me things. Well, thanks so much. After LianWei got his book, we left for LAN.

Played and i walked towards my bus-stop and took bus 57, where i met Jamaludin in the bus. Well, overslept and found myself at Bishan's interchange. I walked all the way over to take bus 162. Im never going to take bus 57 again... unless i change to other buses. Anyway, i just got home, and now im sending YinXuan a Pipa concerto, i hope he'll enjoy it. For a Tuba player, its kinda strange that he would wanna listen to a Pipa concerto. Well, its great!

Im going to head off now to finish up with my work, so sorry, wont be blogging much for today. Anyway, theres nothing much to talk about...

I thought that with my preparation, my oral exam would be smooth, with no gagging and stuttering. Well, who knows? Guess its not that smooth as i thought it'll be.