Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Turandot

Calming myself with religious music, Buddhism especially. Its called AryaEkadasa-MukhaDharani. Well, its a simple chant, with a smooth melodic line and acoustic features in this CD. I bought it back then, and i lent it to Rit, who only returned my yesterday. Thanks to him, and he read my post where i bitched about him. I hope honesty wont harm forever.

I just came home from Indochine, the forbidden city. Its a pub, and i prefer pubs so much better. I hate noisy places, where people dance in bright and blinking flashes. Then, people throw up and pick up their dates and stuff. Well, not for me, totally not. YinXuan, LianWei, Fairul and i spent $220 there. And to think of it, its considered cheap already! However, it could be cheaper... I'll talk about this later.

I woke up later due to the intense gaming last night. I slept for merely 5 hours. I took a cab down to school, though im not late. So, i didnt get myself any breakfast. I was walking around, still trying to refresh myself of all the things that Christoven taught me yesterday. The year 1s were walking out, and some were giving a sure fail face, and others smiling away. Well, as for me, im kinda sure that im going to be boiled like chicken.

I entered the hall, with MrYap smiling at me. I took a seat with Christoven and behind me were Jobyna and Jwen. Well, i was sure that im going to fail. I borrowed Jason's pen, pencil, ruler and eraser. How useless can i be? I think tomorrow's exam wont require stationery right? I didnt do anything smart or stupid. I took the paper, wrote my name and started wondering what to do with it. I cant fold paper cranes because i dunno how to...

I managed to fill in the blanks for pandiatonicism and quintal and quartal chords confidently. I think thats the only section which i prepared this morning. Though i cant name pieces which has them, for the quartal and quintal chords, im sure Debussy uses them often in his music. Pandiatonicism is just something which is so raw to me. I memorised its meaning before entering the hall... and thats all. I did the first question, the usual 4 part harmony, and i almost cried. I knew i was dead when i didnt find any pivoting point for enharmonic modulation. Its a confirm failure this time round. I scored quite well for my test, and i was very surprised, hoping that i'll do better this time, its indeed a fatter hope. It was by chance, and now... even by luck, i wont be able to make it through this paper.

As for the analysis section, i couldnt figure out the chords at all! I managed to find some common chords such as the five of five of five which proceeds to the five of five, then to five. Its horrible! I hate harmony, and its my final year doing it! I hope that i'll pass it once and for all! I wish not to do it again! Have pity on me! Heaven above, please look down on a pity boy for he wishes not to do harmony ever again in his life.

I headed for lunch after the paper. I was telling others about my modulation-less harmony. They all laughed at me. I knew it, im dead. Christoven was telling me about him finding no pivoting point to pivot back to the home key. Thats funny too. But at least he found somewhere to modulate! I found nothing! I used wierd chords. I tried to embellish my paper with ornaments and thats all... Thats it, dun u laugh at me.

Ate with LianWei, SiHan, Vincent, Christoven, Williana, Sonalia and WeiXiang. At first there was only SiHan, Christoven and i. But well, the more the merrier! After eating, some of us headed to soya stall, while some headed back to school. Sonalia, LianWei, Christoven and i drank soya and we let Sonalia try the dumpling.

Well, nothing else for them, Christoven headed to Novena to get his hair cut. I think he should cut his hair. He should let his hair grow for once, and then let us decide how he should manage his hair. His short hair has been there since the starting of this earth. I think its time to change the hairstyle. But first, we must let that hair grow!

I took Jason's music technology book and revised through the recording chain. I was watching this video on YouTube with LianWei. He laughed like mad. Then, EricWatson came, and chased everybody out of the com lab, because we're having our music technology exams there.

He passed us the paper, and i didnt know when we're starting, because everybody was still flipping through the papers... and EricWatson didnt mention anything about starting. I opened Sibelius, and nobody scolded me... and i arranged the scoring and prepared the file... and still, not scolded. So, i assumed that the exam has already started. I began first with the Sibelius scoring, and i found it rather simple... with many repetition of steps and just a few simple hotkeys to use. But there was something harder, the noteheads. I couldnt change the noteheads of the DrumKit. I think that sucked... and moreover, i accidentally pressed something, which shows the hit point on my score. Its impossible to remove it, and EricWatson couldnt remove it for me either. After finishing on Sibelius as well as Sonar, i filled in the answers to the 2 questions. The first question was simple, its about the difference between a MIDI file and a WAV file. Simple enough? The next question was slightly more troublesome, but as easy as the first, its about the recording chain, which EricWatson gave very direct hints about it coming out for the exam. In fact, he told us that it'll come out!

I completed the paper first, and told EricWatson to store the files into his disk. He was kinda shocked that i finished within an hour or less. He asked if ive completed everything, and he came over to check on my work. Thats when he explained to me about the noteheads, but didnt allow me to change them. And other than that, he tried deleting the hit point, but he couldnt. Anyway, he went around finding a suitable cable for his disk. In his disk, there was his compositions. I saw some and pointed to him, smiling...

I left the com lab first, and surprisingly, so much time for me to go complete me review on 'Turandot'. I walked to the library, and headed into the room. The librarian was telling me that i owe a fine for borrowing the opera. But hello? The opera is not allowed to be borrowed out by students. So, in any case, how isit possible that i got it out of the library? She waved the fine for me, and gave me the earpiece as well as the controllers to the TV and player.

I watched the opera again, because i simply love it! I wanna get the same edition, because its just too good. I wrote the review, but its more like a sypnosis. So, i think i'll have to finish up another review for the submission, as well as a shorter copy for my oral exam tomorrow. I cant wait for the exam, because its going to be fun and wierd... I wonder how it'll be like.

By the way, i'll post the sypnosis which i did later after the post. Its going to be exciting, and for those who are interested, please go read. Its very exciting and its a fantastic opera!

Anyway, after completing my work, i headed back to school. LianWei was asking me out, but i had to rehearse with the dance department. I headed over and took out my Pipa, only to snap the string within the first few minutes of strumming. I tuned it too high, no excuses. I just went through the points and the title of the piece is called 'In place', or something of that sort. Its going to be contradicting, because my playing wont be in place with the dancers. Its my fault mostly... i think. But well, they dun really listen out too. But its my role to wait for them actually. Nevermind, it was uncomfortable, but the rehearsal went fine.

I left, and headed to BK to meet up with SiHan and gang. After stealing fries from SiHan, and talking to Fairul, LianWei and YinXuan, we decided to head over to somewhere to play. Its either a movie or some pubs, but well... u know the final decision was the pub, because i just came back from Indochine. SiHan headed home, while we took bus 147 over to ClarkeQuay. Walked over, sang songs and shouted like girls. We walked for almost an hour, finding a place to settle down. We walked over to Brewerkz too, too bad that SiHan wasnt with us. We were at their doorstep, then we decided not to drink there. We walked back to Hooters, PumpRoom and many others. We walked around... and headed to Indochine. We were at the back, and there wasnt anybody serving us. So, we walked somewhere else. Who knows? We were walking... and we got to the front of Indochine, and we decided to enter then. The lady was kinda wierd... and the guy serving us was totally bullshit. I hate him, and if im his boss, looking at him like that, i'll sack him and fry his balls crispy like KFC.

He was afraid that we couldnt pay, and ordered us to leave a creditcard there or something. So, i left mine there. We ordered for up to $120 and we've no cash. Ive realised that at pubs, its always me paying. I gave them my card, because YinXuan doesnt have enough, same as LianWei, as for Fairul, no need to even mention about coins. We drank, as for me, i ate fingerfood mostly. I chewed on the ice from Fairul's vodka. I almost went drunk! The guy was walking around, looking at us... and i was really irritated. I kept cursing him...

The place was kinda cozy and nice. It has this dark China look. We sat on this huge bed, and with pillows. We were cuddling there and bitching about people. All of us bitched around... and scolded each other and laughed ourselves drunk. I kept asking LianWei to take photos of us. He was like... pissed off. After that, i initiated about ordering another platter. This time, its a most expensive one at $75. It didnt hurt, but i felt happier! We ate and ate and ate...

Was licking our fingers, and drinking beer while bitching around and lying about the huge bed. Soon, i felt this itch and asked if they're feeling this itch in their hair. We were all scratching our heads for a moment.

Well, its time to leave, i paid signed the bill and we headed out. Its around $220, and im paying for the GST, because im so generous. As for them, they'll just pay $27 on top of their own drink. So, its roughly about $50 each.

We walked to the bus-stop, and i took bus 851 home, while LianWei's bus came in time too. YinXuan crossed the road, leaving Fairul alone. Poor thing.

Thats the end of our journey today to Indochine. Its my first time there, and its slightly getting better with places like that, but still... pubs instead of clubs. Chilling out is still a better choice...

Here is the sypnosis of 'Turandot'...


The Opera begins with a heavy introduction of the Brass. An official announces the law of the land: Any man who desires to wed Turandot must first answer her three riddles. If he fails, he will be beheaded. The crowded surges towards the gates of the imperial palace, crying for blood, as the Official announces that the Prince of Persia has failed and is to be beheaded at moonrise.

As the commotion takes place while a blind old man is pushed to the ground. His slave girl, Liu, cries for help and a young man hears her cry and recognizes the old man as his long-lost father, Timur, the deposed king of Tartary. The young prince of Tartary urges his father not to speak his name because he fears the Chinese rulers who have conquered Tartary. Timur then tells his son that of his entire servant; only Liu has remained faithful to him and she is Timur’s only guide.

The executioner enters the stage with a large blade. The music written is highly energetic as the crowd cries for blood while the executioner sharpens his blade. The moon rises and the crowd’s cries for blood turn into silence, Puccini’s music falls immediately into a mysterious quiet and soothing melody. The lighting of the stage is excellent, with a sudden contrast of the red background, into a dark blue night. The faces of the crowd turned from red into pale blue. The theme is written with materials from traditional Chinese music. I am surprised that the melody is taken from a Chinese folk song, ‘Mo Li Hua’.

The doomed Prince of Persia is led before the crowd on his way to execution, firstly led by monks with white lantern. The crowd’s mood turns to mercy, they call on Turandot to spare the Prince. The Prince of Tartary, Calaf, cries out for mercy and curses Turandot for being cruel and cold. The executioner holds his blade against the Prince of Persia as they continue for the execution. Turandot appears behind a cloth at a tower, and with a single gesture, orders the execution to continue.

Calaf, who has never seen Turandot before, falls immediately in love. As he cries out her name with joy, Timur, his father, is shocked. Timur urges his son to desist, and Liu, pleads with him not to attempt the riddles. Wishing to triumph over her beauty, he walks towards the Gong, which was hung in front of the imperial palace. The ministers Ping, Pong and Pang then appear suddenly, warning him that Turandot is unattainable. I personally feel that the ministers are the jester figures in the opera. They mock at Calaf for his blind love towards Turandot. They warn Calaf of the Gong, but he refuses to listen. The lighting and mood changes, as the focus now falls upon the spirits of those who died for Turandot. The hanging skulls from the gates are amazing, as they were there but only lit up during the specific section. Calaf hears them, singing of their love even though they are dead. Calaf is obviously blindly fallen for Turandot, even though the ministers showed Calaf of the head of the Prince of Persia.

Calaf refuses to listen to them and rushes to the Gong. Calling Turandot’s name, he strikes the Gong three times, thereby declaring himself a suitor. Before doing so, Liu cries her heart as she sympathizes for Timur who will lose his only son for the sake of love. She sings with an amazing vocal, crying out her pain and tells Calaf that she can bear no more to see Timur suffer. Calaf remains persistent and stubborn. The crowd comes forth, crying out for Calaf not to attempt the riddles. After the striking of the Gong, everybody cries of horror and scatters off, leaving Liu, Timur and Calaf at the front of the imperial palace.

Ping, Pang and Pong lament their place as ministers, poring over palace documents and presiding over endless rituals in a form of a canon, reciting over one another. Before sunrise, at a pavilion in the imperial palace, they prepare themselves for either a wedding or a funeral. They are tired of counting the rolling heads after every hits of the Gongs, ever riddles, and ever funeral. They consider themselves as the ministers of the execution now, because they are always so busy with the funerals of the foolish madmen who drive themselves into graves because of love.

Ping suddenly longs for his country house in Honan, with its small lake surrounded by bamboo. Pong remembers his grove of forests near Tsiang. As for Pang, he recalls his gardens near Kiu. Music at this section becomes dreamy and with beautiful melodic lines, as slowly the three sings together, sharing fond memories of life away from the palace. Suddenly, they are shaken back to the realities of Turandot’s bloody reign. They continually accompany young men to death and recall their ghastly fate, seeing hopeful ones to their graves.

As the palace trumpet sounds, the ministers ready themselves for another spectacle as they away the entrance of the Emperor.

The crowd sings as they await the entrance of the Emperor. The ministers slowly enter into the courtyard of the palace at sunrise, accompanying them are Chinese acrobats. It is a fascinating view, as the Emperor Altoum, father of Turandot, arrives on his grand throne in his palace. Three times he urges the Prince to withdraw his challenge, and three times the Prince refuses. Turandot enters, and the music lightens as she unveils herself.

She explains, in the aria "In questa reggia", that her ancestress of millennia past, Princess Lo-u Ling, was ravished and murdered by a foreigner, and now out or revenge she has sworn not to let any man possess her. She furiously points her finger at Calaf, and says that Princess Lo-u Ling was dragged away by a man like him. She wants to take revenge out of Calaf of Princess Lo-u Ling’s purity. For trying his fortune, he has to attempt the three riddles, after hearing Turandot claiming that no man shall ever possess her. Turandot discourages Calaf to attempt the riddles, but with determination, the Prince insists on Turandot of giving him the riddles.

With the Emperor’s sacred oath, Turandot has no choice but the pose her first riddle; there hovers in the dark of night a phantom of many colors. It spreads its wings and soars high above the sorrow of human life. All the world calls to it, and all the world implores it. But the phantom vanishes at dawn to be reborn in every heart. And every night it is reborn only to die again each day.

Immediately, with the sudden entry of the strings, Calaf answered Turandot’s riddle with a simple answer; it is hope. Turandot unnerved presents her second riddle; it darts like a flame, but it is not fire. At times it brings delirium. It burns like a fever, a passion. Inertia makes it flag. If you lose heart or die, it grows cold. But if you dream of conquest, it flares up again. Its voice fills you with dread and its glow is like the sunset.

The crowd urges the Prince not to waver. The Prince thinks for a moment before replying, the answer runs in his veins; it is blood. Turandot is shaken, as she furiously shouts for the crowd to be silent, she presents her third riddle; it is ice that sets you afire and it turns that fire to ice. It is both light and dark. In setting you free, it enslaves you. But by enslaving you, it makes you king.

As the Prince thinks, Turandot taunts him, inflicting him with fear. Suddenly, he cries out victory and announces the answer; Turandot!

The crowd cheers for the triumphant Prince, Turandot is horribly shocked and shaken. She throws herself at the Emperor’s feet and pleads him not to leave her to the Prince’s mercy. The Emperor has a sacred oath to fulfill and he insists that Turandot’s duty is to wed the Prince. Still shaken, Turandot yells at the Prince who has won victory over her. She tells him that she will never be his, but the crowd cheers on and claims that she is the Prince’s reward.

Knowing that it is impossible to embrace the proud Turandot forcefully, knowing that she is unwilling, he claims that he would have her burning with love. The crowd admires his bravery and his boldness. Calaf walks towards the Emperor, and challenged Turandot, posing just one riddle for her to figure. As she cries out in anger, the Prince stops her and has a proposal for her; you do not know my name, tell me my name, tell me my name before the break of dawn and at dawn I shall die.

The Emperor declares that he hopes to the call the Prince his son by daybreak. Turandot accepts the riddle, with no choice; she has to find out the Prince’s name before dawn.

In the distance, the Official calls out Turandot’s command; this night, none shall sleep in Peking! The penalty for all will be death if the Prince’s name is not discovered by morning!

The Prince, in the aria "Nessum droma", anticipates his victory. He thinks that his secret is hidden deep in him, and nobody shall ever discover it. He will only reveal his true name if he kisses Turandot, to break the silence and make her smile. However, if he does not reveal his name, the people will perish. Not knowing what cruelty Turandot is capable of, Ping, Pong and Pang warns the Prince of Turandot’s malicious character.

They try offering him anything that he wants, from women to riches, if only he would give up on Turandot, but he refuses. The Prince is selfish and wants only Turandot, and he would not reveal his name. The crowd threatens him with Timur and Liu. They found them both and knows that they are related to the Prince, because they were seen speaking before. The ministers as well as the crowd wish not to die, therefore, they threatens in vain to use tools to force open the sealed lips of Timur and Liu.

Turandot arrives, and orders for Timur to speak the name of the unknown Prince. The Prince feigns ignorance, saying that they know nothing. Liu declares that she alone knows the Prince’s name, bearing the torture that Timur had gone through.

Liu is persistent about revealing the name though she was put into torture by the soldiers. Turandot orders for them to release her, and she asks her who put so much strength in her heart. Liu, answered; princess, it is love! From her sacrificial behavior and the willingness to be tortured for the Prince, it is obviously that Liu is secretly in love with the Prince, Calaf.

Turandot is clearly taken by Liu’s resolve, and demands that Ping tear the Prince’s name from Liu, and he orders her to be tortured. Liu counters Turandot in her aria "Tu che di gel sei cinta", saying that she too shall learn love. Liu daringly points at Turandot and teaches her about love. Having spoken, Liu seizes a dagger from a soldier’s belt and stabs herself.

As she staggers towards the Prince, and falls dead, the crowd screams for her to speak the Prince’s name. Turandot is shaken by Liu’s declaration of love, but stood coldly in a distance. Since Timur is blind, he must be told of Liu’s death. He crawls towards Liu, trying to wake her up in a fatherly manner. Knowing that she is dead, he cries out in anguish. Timur warns that the gods will be offending by such outrage, and the crowd is subdued with shame and fear, begging for the offended spirit to forgive them.

The grieving Timur and the crowd follow Liu’s body as it is carried away. Even Ping, Pang and Pong express remorse and leave Turandot and the Prince alone.

Here, Puccini’s work ends. This opera was left incomplete after his death, but the music was completed later by Franco Alfano.

The Prince tries to convince Turandot to love him. At first, she is disgusted, but after he kisses her, she feels herself turning towards passion. As dawn breaks, the Prince reveals his name; Calaf, son of Timur.

At the courtyard of the palace at dawn, Turandot and Calaf approach the Emperor’s throne. She declares that she knows the Prince’s name; his name is… love! As the crowd cheers, bringing the music into a climax, the Emperor blesses them both and the curtains fall.

I think this is slightly too much for a sypnosis. Its not short and summarised at all! Great!