Saturday, February 17, 2007

Doyen's Talk

I just got home, and exactly an hour to blog before the eve of CNY ends. Well, its the CNY festive, and everybody is busying visiting and collecting red packets. What am i doing? Performing and selling hot cakes in ConradHotel. Anyway, im really very tired now, ive been performing for more than 2 hours. Well, tomorrow it'll be at least 3 hours and same goes to the day following next.

I got up late, because i slept really late. Then, i heard Mom and uncle shouting in the kitchen. Well, they were cooking and preparing for the steamboat. Its so noisy, so i woke up and answered my ringing phone. QingLun called, and i also asked him to help me log into my email account and help me check this document that LumYanSeng sent to me last night. Well, i dun have the format in my own computer, thats why. So, there are changes to the schedule... and i have to report at around 5 plus for the orientation. Actually, i dun really need any orientation, because ive worked there for at least 2 years already!

While playing a game with LianWei, i had to go for my reunion lunch. We've been having reunion lunch since 2 years ago, because of my performances at ConradHotel. So, ive no choice... but to just work my ass off for this not worth it gig. Well, its like only $500 for 3 days. And moreover, the schedule is so packed and so tight. Of course, its alright to slightly bend it a little, because its rather flexible. Thats what we did today.

There wasnt many people. The lunch was fine, with some really simple ingredients for the steamboat. I wanna have a big steamboat with my friends for this CNY celebration. I'll try to arrange one probably after Monday. Anyway, Mom fetched me down after eating. I bathed, and my uncle gave me a red packet. He had to secretly pass it to me, i dunno why. Anyway, its quite alot of money. Im so happy, but its like merely 10% of what he used to give me during CNY. So disappointed, but of course theres nothing to cry about... afterall its good enough to recieve one.

I took the Pipa, and this new Chinese costume that Mom bought for me. Im surprised that she'll buy what ive described to her. Its kinda accurate too... its white, with dragon designs, and its just nice. Actually not, its kinda big for a skinny person like me...

Right!

The Pipa was heavy, but it was alright because Mom was fetching me down. Once i got there, i called ZhiNeng, and he told me that he'll be late. So, i arranged with Sashi first. Sashi is the person in charged. Back then, if u can remember, its Angeline. Now, its this Indian man, suave and smart looking. Actually, i kinda admire Indian people, when they can dress up so smartly. He was very kind, and he brought me around the hotel. I was quite familiar already, instead... i was like showing the way. On the way to the ballrooms, someone recognised me and greeted me with a very warm welcome. She is no other than Melinde! Remember her? She has the most authority around, and she is extremely friendly! She has a new hairdo, so i almost couldnt recognised her. I was so surprised, i smiled as she introduced me to her other collegues. She told them that im WeiKang, and ive been playing for them since 2 years ago. Well, glad that they know... because i dun feel like playing already... She asked if Stanley would be playing, but sadly... no, its someone else this year.

ZhiNeng arrived, and i went over to his car to help him with his YangQin. He was having such a hard time carrying the YangQin out of his sportcar, its no wonder, theres only 2 doors. I stood there and waited for him to unload, and then took care of it while he drove to the carpark.

On the way to the GoldenPeony, he was telling me that he's played for 3 years already, but i thought... it was me who played with Stanley. Then, i realised that he was the one playing earlier with YouGuo. Anyway, its the first time im talking to him. We know each other, but we haven gotten the chance to talk together. After setting up his YangQin, which is white in colour, and tuned according to some jazz crap, which is like 419, instead of 442. I was like, stunned. It'll take him very long to tune it back, so... i tuned my Pipa lower. And its so freaking low! Its the first time im playing it so low, usually i'll prefer playing it higher. I knew it, it'll be harder to project due the looser tension, and moreover... more noise from the nails.

We went to eat at the cafeteria, and the food was so much better than the hotel that CSCO performed in the other time. We ate, and we chatted till its time for performance. We rushed up back to the restaurant, and got ourselves changed and ready for the performance. I tried playing the Pipa, and found that its harder to project, but there aint much noise from the nails fortunately. So, before it started i was still kinda stressed by the fact that its the first time im performing with him, i dun really know his style and how will he improvise.

We started off quite well, and eventually... having fun with new renditions of new year songs. It was different with Stanley, who is more into exotic chords and probably more into improvisation with modal music. HaoSong, being more traditional bangs his YangQin with unstable chords which might sound really good at times. And for him, ZhiNeng, he has quite a chunk of jazz influence, and of course... he knows quite alot of other kinda songs too. After performing there, we headed down to the salons.

By the way, i just had my reunion supper. Right... Im super full now, im bursting already! The steamboat soup was so sweet and nice, so many prawns and what else... I dunno! But its so nice, i was the last to leave the table. I was lifting the thingi, and scooping all the soup i can with the big lader. Mom and i are so similar.

So, back to the topic... we played for the salons, and headed to the ballrooms. They were kind enough to give us red packets each. Today, just with the red packets, ive made $85... i think, or lesser. Nevermind, but Sashi and his collegues were very nice. There was this Japanese lady, she brought us around, and even helped us with the chairs. She is so friendly and kind! I'll get her name tomorrow. Anyway, the bitch will still remain as the bitch, Carol... the one serving at the GoldenPeony most of the time. She has this super fake face! Its almost made of plastic. She doesnt smile at times, and she'll look really like a bitch. Then, when the customers come, she'll be so super fake! She'll smile till her lips are stretched from ear to ear, and almost another round. Then, she'll greet them and wish them a happy new year. My goodness, plastic woman!

At the salon, there was this God of Fortune. And hell, he has malnutrition and is extremely underweight! Its so funny, because its some skinny guy dressed up as the God of Fortune. Then, the guy there was telling him that his stomach is crooked. Then, he adjusted his stomach. I told ZhiNeng that that guy is the skinniest God of Fortune ever, looks like he's suffering from poverty or lack of food. Then, we both were laughing away.

Well, the ballrooms were fine. Many of them recognised me, and i heard some whispering that its me again. And there was one salon, which the family even talked to me and asked if i recognise them. Im so sorry, i told them no, because there are just too many to remember. And they told me to remember them... because they'll eat there every year. Sadly, i dun think i wanna play again next year. Unless the price is higher or something... because, its not worth the time at all.

After taking a break, we headed back to the salons, and then finally at GoldenPeony, where we played our last set for the day. After playing, there were some clapping, and this year, i think everybody is more friendly. We recieved more welcoming clappings, then some awful stares. Well, im fine with the performance today, and i'll have to report there at noon tomorrow.

Im so tired, ZhiNeng went off first and told me to take care of his YangQin and bring it to the salon for him. Bully me! I carried my Pipa and dragged his YangQin down, because its too heavy. Then, with the Sashi's help, i managed to store the instruments there, and left for the lobby. I sat there and relaxed my mind and my aching body... while waiting for Mom to fetch me back home.

Soon, im home... and i bathed before its midnight, because Mom forced me to. She said that im not allowed to wash my hair tomorrow morning, though i may bath. Well, its the new year already, and im feeling... very full.

Its the year of the pig. So, i assume that pigs are going to be slaughtered more and more due to more pig dishes? Anyway, its WeiFeng's year. It means that... he is 24 years old? Amazing.

WeiXun and ChaiXia told me the same thing. They said that my name was mentioned in the newspaper, and i told ChaiXia to make a copy for me. She'll pass me when i see her the next time. Im so excited, how does it even look like? I know, there aint any picture, but only LimChooLi's, but thats cool enough for me. I know, ive nothing better to do.

Im so tired, and im blogging in the first hour of the new year. How fun? It'll be a long holiday ahead, which will eventually be gone like a day, because time flies quickly nowadays, ive no idea why.

People who are experienced will talk differently. Those that are not, will try to speak like them.