Sunday, February 04, 2007

Filtered Opinions

QingLun said that... He... He told me that... nevermind. He told me to blog and start off like that.

That roseate view was shattered. Nothing to snivel about. I think its worth its regret now, because im content with losing my impression on a worthless view. Things have changed, im glad. In fact, im living a simpler life without woes.

I just came home. I woke up late today, and took the cab down for rehearsal at NUS. When i was there, they've only barely started on the Pipa concerto. I took a Pipa and headed to the practice area. LumYanSing saw me and told me to seat on the first seat. MrLum conducted the Pipa concerto, with the soloist miked up. Well, it sounded fine, just probably slower than ive expected. There were many parts in the orchestral Pipa score that has many wierd notes, and difficult running notes. Well, its alright after running through it a few times. The whole score was notated an octave higher, so its kinda difficult to sightread it with the mentality that it should be played an octave lower. I was struggling through some parts... and need to run through them a few times myself. During the break, i called MinHui, because i couldnt get to QingLun. After that, i called Jonathan. I told him to get a ticket for me, for tonight's SCO concert. I ate chips, chocolate and got myself a drink. Practice resumed, but JiaJin, YiLeng and i have to rush off first, because we'll be catching the concert later.

We took a bus back to YiLeng's hostel. Its the place where NUSCO used to be, or at least where we had our rehearsals for RobertCasteels piece back then. YiLeng needed to change and doll up herself. JiaJin brought me around, and watched a VCD that JiaJin burned for me. It featured 5 Pipa players, in a final round of some Pipa competition. Its cool, and out of the 5, theres only one which didnt ring a bell at all. The others were... YangJing, ZhangQiang, QuWenJun and WuMan. Well, YangJing's version of 'ShiMianMaiFu' was superb. Her sound was blasting, and its amazing how she can withstand the draining sections. QuWenJun's 'WeiShuiQing' attained the lowest score out of the 5. However, its also the most expressive and emotional version ive ever heard. I think ZhangQiang is the youngest amongst the contestants. LinShiCheng and WangFanDi were one of the many judges, which included ZhaoSongTing, famous contributer for the Dizi repertoire. Anyway, after watching and waiting for YiLeng, we left the hostel and headed for the bus-stop.

I think the environment in NUS is very peaceful. It gives me a very comfortable feeling, as if that i can survive in NUS alone without needing to leave the place at all. Everything is provided. The hostel has a very homely ambience. Moreover, its so private that i dun have to worry much about anything. I need a life like that for a moment. I wish i can stay somewhere like that... among strangers, with friends, and alone. But well, im sure soon a day like this will come, therefore... its better for me to cherish what i have first before its too late.

Like always, life is so unpredictable. Mom was involved in an accident a week ago. A motorcycle knocked into her side glass, and it flew out and smashed the front left window. Its amazing that it didnt hit her. A glass like that can break so easily, just imagine how forceful the side glass was thrown to enable a glass window to break. In fact, its not pure glass, its the harder type. Fortunately Mom wasnt hurt, or else... there wouldnt be anybody to wash my clothes for me. Im joking! But yes, seriously, thankfully shes not injured. Or else, i'll get that motorcyclist to pay with his life! Anyway, that guy was nice enough to pay for all the damage caused. Lets move on, its like a week ago already. The gist is... things are unpredictable at times, so... cherish life!

They ate, while i watched. Bus 10 took only 15 minutes to get to SCH. I met up with MinHui, and paid her for my ticket. Supposedly wanted to get from QingLun, but he sold it to DongXiao already. I was punctual, stood around and chatted with DongXiao and Dedric. Well, im sitting alone, or at least with QingLun and DongXiao infront of me. I sat beside this old couple. MinHui and gang just a gap away from my row. Before entering into the hall, i met YinHao and his girlfriend. He has grown fatter! Its a good thing, it tells people that they're living well. ShuMin introduced her friends to me, her Malaysian friends... which some are studying in China currently. Ive heard some of them before, from YongSoon, ShuMin and others...

The concert started off with a terrible song with a Singapore theme. I think it sounded... bad, but still kinda good enough for a concert piece. The piece following that was an ErHu concerto, performed by LiBaoShun. The guest conductor for tonight's concert was XuZhiJun. He wrote a Pipa concerto, and it was premiered by WuYuXia. In tonight's concert, each of the 2 soloists will take on 2 challenging concertos, and YuJia will tackle on XuZhiJun's concerto, while LiBaoShun will give the audience a musical pictorial of BeiJing, with KuanNaiChung's composition. The ErHu concerto was kinda boring with the second movement. I felt that captivating sections were really good, while the slower parts arent progressive enough. The idea doesnt variate itself much, though it has a certain direction. I think i prefer to listening more changes, rather than development of a single motive. Thats why, i have a traditional taste for music, not much of a Western mindset towards music. As for my composition, i hope DrGoh wont spit on it.

Anyway, i gave QingLun and DongXiao my opinion on the performances. Well, im not sure whether they'll agree... or whether they've noticed anything. But as for me, i think im now more careful with things i hear. As for what i say, i think im always quite cautious. In SCH, i accidentally spilled QingLun's secret, but good thing... nobody noticed. QingLun even replied my question... and then he gave me that look. I was suddenly reminded that im not allowed to say it... so i shut myself immediately.

I sent Christoven my composition, and he told me that my second section sounded good, but my first section has not much development. He asked if thats the sound i want. Yes, it is. But i know, in reality it'll sound a bunch hell different.

YuJia's performance was good. I took YanYu's comment in my heart, and listened out to many things that she'd mentioned to me before. I find it very true. As i hear more, and without filtering good comments, i think i can judge better with my ears now. As for SCO, i think they've improved and slightly better than before. Back then, im always unsatisfied with the performances, due to the little impact on their sound. I wanted to hear more, and i think tonight... i got something quite different. The piece after the interval was like shit. I have no idea what kinda of composition that is. Its like just for the sake of writing music. The clashes are intentional or not, we dunno. The idea is there, but its always there! Music cannot be too obvious, right? DrGoh taught me that, and well... i think its kinda too obvious where the composer was driving to. I think that piece sounded bad to me, and i dun like it too. Disliked or unappreciated? Both.

Raymond asked me whether he can have the Pipa back on Monday. Im not sure, i'll message u again.

Anyway, after the concert, QingLun and gang headed to get the performer's autographs. I waited outside, and got to meet a few teachers, and talked to ZiXian. She told me that she's not learning Pipa under YuJia anymore. She's kinda too busy, and well... i persuaded her to go back for lesson. She felt that she should go back to lessons too, but she thought that the fee is kinda too expensive for her. Im not sure how much, but... isit worth it? If it is, then its alright. Michelle got this thick makeup on her face, and she left with her parents. How supportive of them right? I waved to HwaChuan, the Pipa senior back then when i was in sec 1. He taught me Pipa! Well, we didnt talk... because its kinda awkward, moreover LanceLim was there. I think LanceLim really has this arrogant problem going on. Its his pride that destroys this image that i have of him. Well, those were the days. Ive no idea whats going on in his head. I saw him at the MRT station, and he just ignored me totally. We stared into each other's eyes. But well, for somebody like him, if i dun wave, he wont. Well, so... just let it be.

Had supper with ShuMin and her friends, as well as PeiQian and QingLun. I treated ShuMin and QingLun to supper. I ordered chicken cutlet rice, which is more worth the money as compared to others. Anyway, after eating... ShuMin and gang headed for some fun till morning. They'll be singing away till dawn, with JiWei and Samuel. While they were on the phone, i said hello to JiWei. Wonder if he still remembers me. I think he will, as for the impression wise... i dun think it'll be quite nice. Thanks to somebody.

QingLun and i headed to Cityhall together. We chatted and walked all the way there. We arrived at Esplanade, and walked the underpass to the station. Thats where i met LanceLim, such a horrible experience. I wanted to go off, but QingLun insisted that i stay and wait for his girlfriend. Soon, she came... and we talked. It was funny, because we aint that close, moreover... im not from PAYCO or SYCO, so i wont get to know her more than others. We talked about things, and QingLun told me why she's angry with DrKan. Well, he said that she's the best for a moment and now... she sucks. Wierd...

We left, and i took bu 162 from Suntec. I helped out this Indian couple, and their cute little baby. I told them that they should take bus 857 if they wanna get to Serangoon Road. They were so nice, they didnt thank me. I cried terribly on the bus.

Right.

Im tired. I need to sleep soon. But well, im kinda worried. Im addicted to...