Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Sycophant

Im home, and Mom just gave me a present. Its a soft toy, and its a blue pig. Great, a pig year ahead...

I woke up late today, and managed to rush down to NAFA in time. Within 20 minutes, i got to school. I took the MRT to Novena, and as usual... took bus 166 to school. It was really cramp in there, and this girl infront of me accidentally stepped on my foot with her high heels! My hair turned purple, and my eyes became dark and i turned into a banshee. Well, but i didnt scream it out... though its really painful. I got down the bus, and since i left my Pipa at the theatre, it was more convenient for me. Almost everybody was there already, and the singers were there really early. QingLun was later than me, and thanks so much to his late morning call. Its totally useless... save it.

Last night, i was feeling really blue. I hugged my TweetieBird soft toy to sleep, while wetting my pillow with my honest tears. Then, i realised that its a starry night. I seldom see stars in Singapore, its usually Malaysia where i get to see many shining diamonds in the sky. Whereas in Singapore, its usually pitch black. I walked towards my window and winded down the curtain. It turned my world into darkness... where i slept well.

The rehearsal was fine, but the singer kept dragging. She was so free, as in her tempo, she came in with her own tempo even though we played the first 2 bars of introduction for her. The accompanying figure was there already, but yet she can just come in with her own timing! She is indeed professional! Im going to write that into my review...

Then, we were curious where was Andy and Rit... and well, MrYeo was kinda pissed with Rit, because he didnt turn up for any rehearsals. Well, i just dun understand... After practicing, we headed for lunch. On my way for lunch, i met Rit and i talked to him. After that, i called QingLun and he told me that he needed to go to the library. So, i insisted that he go library with ShuMin and gang, instead of having lunch with me. But, he insisted on having lunch with me. I think he was really hungry anyway. We ordered pasta! The meatballs... and the chicken cutlet tasted good! I loved it. And moreover, its not really expensive anyway.

I headed to the Percussion studio and Mark wasnt there yet. Being always accentuating about punctuality, there wasnt any single person there. So, i entered the room with the help of MrYeo. Before that, i kept my Pipa and bag in the studio with Sebestian's card. Its so irritating, because only Percussionists can enter the Percussion studio, which makes sense, but it causes quite an inconvenience for others to use the studio. So troublesome...

MrYeo gave 2 students a test, while i stood behind and watched them play. It was horrible! The sightread test was kinda difficult, but would be much easier if they were to count in quavers, which obviously they didnt. Or if they did, then their sightreading really sucked.

Soon, Mark came, and i got my new score. I checked on the notes, and some were wrong, and as for the rest... he edited some notes. Im wondering if theres any purpose in it, if the edition of notes are so random, then... nevermind. I felt really uncomfortable playing the piece, because its not in the Pipa's language. Anyway the rehearsal was alright, but kinda tough to play it together. I made the most mistakes, because i have counting problems as well as reading Western notation problems. I suck, i know. Mark didnt conduct at first, but i thought that he should. Sharon's Piccolo was fine, but her cue wasnt really acute. ZhengYi was the only one who played through without much of a sweat.

After the rehearsal for Mark's piece, i headed upstairs. The computer lab was filled with so many people. I was kinda shocked, but ive expected many last minute workers, so... no surprise. I havent completed my composition yet, because it aint in Sibelius! I seriously need help! I need to complete it now. Like now! Im going to rush for it later, because i'll be so damn busy tomorrow, with performance and rehearsals. And on Wednesday, there aint much time to complete it. Moreover, the school's computers will all be burning. I wanna complete it before i sleep, but my eyes are shutting down again...

I headed to the chicken rice stall with ShuMin, Anthea, Jason and JunRu. After that, i headed to soya stall alone. ShuMin kept scolding Anthea, and making fun of Anthea. I could tell that Anthea was kinda pissed off, but of course ShuMin was joking. JunRu then told us that Michelle and him will be flying to China during May, or June. Well, im going there too, but i aint going to play. Its more of work this time round, im so much of myself that i have no sense of competition at all, though many are surfacing as threats around me. But well, im a healthy person, i dun look at them as fleas or pests. I see them as people with a common interest, that simple. Im a simple person who tries to live in a sophisticated realistic society. Its hard for a dreamer like me to survive... But there is something which nobody can steal away from me. Thats my music, my family, my passion and my friends. For all that, im thankful enough.


After drinking, i managed to catch up with them. They were so slow... I practiced the Pipa, and ran through the compositions. Fhairil brought me down to the studio, and we rehearsed with the MIDI. It was fun, because it sounded more musical and alot more related to Pipa's language. It sounded Malay, with Chinese melodies. I loved it! MrYeo was there, and he sat beside me and adviced me to add some flavours to it. I think his concepts are still kinda traditional inclined, but could tell that its still strong as foundation. There were a few parts which i would have to repeat playing the same old thing for dunno how long. So, MrYeo asked me to play it like Japanese instruments, or i can even use harmonics and stuff. So, i tried everything i can, and found some slightly better ones. MrYeo said that he liked Fhairil's composition. Fhairil couldnt even play the Marimba part which he wrote for Richard. It was funny... he said that its kinda tough.

The 3 of us headed down for a drink, while MrYeo had his dinner. MrYeo treated us to a drink, and we were like making it as such a big deal. We talked about school's rules, and about the replacement Cellist. MrYeo asked if MuHe has the rights to do that, and isit approved even by Adams. Im not sure, but its ridiculous for me. I think its not right...

Soon, the concert ended, and it was SiHan's brother's recital with this dunno who Pianist. I went for the attendance only, and after that... i headed back to my dear Pipa. Met up with YongRui and YiKai in the pink room, where we crapped and ran through LuHeng's piece.

LuHeng came and we told him to conduct us. The slow introduction was kinda tricky. I couldnt help it but to come in wrongly at times. The notes were slightly easier to catch, because there is a structure there to follow, and there aint any chords. The fast section has this killer running notes, which is playable... but kinda tough. I practiced running a few times, and managed to catch the feel of it. I think i love LuHeng's piece the most, its modern but with a taste. There is a melody there, though its kinda atonal in sense of the tonal structure. I dunno... there isnt quite a key, if there is... i dunno what it is.

After running through, i headed back to my own practice area, with LianWei and Fairul's instruments there. LianWei and i practiced there at the same area, while the other went off. LianWei was disturbed by me, i guess. He didnt play much, because i was talking to him... and asking him questions. He told me that he was tired, but well... thats the thing about music, we cant practice much with a worn out spirit. Sometimes, ive to force myself to play even though im feeling really weak and tired. I didnt run through my exam piece at all, though i did jump from sections to sections, but thats a bad thing... because i realised that its really tiring to play the whole piece with one breath from head to toe. I dun literally mean one breath.

I told Jonathan to send his work to my email, but i havent recieved anything yet. I just sent a message to remind him to. Had supper with SiHan. We were talking about stupid things... and i tried his food, which made me so thirsty. Then, i persuaded him with much strength to go to the soya stall with me. Since its so occupied, i tried the other stall, without letting the auntie noticing. Well, bought our drinks, and we left discreetly.

I walked to Bugis with him. At the bus-stop, i noticed this girl who doesnt look quite bad, though kinda boyish. The more i stare, the more i realise that its actually a guy! My goodness, its a freaking guy! He has this girl hair, and girl's features. What else? He was revealing his butt like girls do. But well, im not pervertic, but seriously... he looked like a girl! SiHan and i were shocked. But well, SiHan wasnt surprised. SiHan is kinda experienced with such things... and he has a fetish for nipples. I dunno why! He likes to pinch them. I saw him pinching his own during history lecture. He'll just sit there and start pinching himself for no reasons... Its wierd, i think im going to stay away from him.

Anyway he made a bet with me. He asked me to ask the Indian waiter whether they have pork chop. I didnt, because he chickened out. Or else, i could have gotten an extra treat from him.

I took bus 851 home, which arrived with SiHan's bus 80. I overslept, and found myself reaching Yishun! I quickly pressed the bell and alighted in the middle of nowhere. The bus-stop was kinda secluded. I stood there while waiting for Mom to come fetch me.

Im tired, but ive to go on. Burn some oil! Its time to go on...

Before i go, i wanna dedicate this last paragraph to QingLun, my dear donkey friend. He called me just now, and was scolding me about blogging that he is like a donkey. Its yesterday's entry, and he was so bothered about it, in a funny way. So, he dared me to blog it again. Well, donkey QingLun! Thats it, i know, thats it right?

Im only joking...

By the way, im not a toady person who seeks favor by flattering people of wealth, fame or influence. Im not a parasite, not a sycophant.