Thursday, February 22, 2007

Hoi Polloi

Believe it or not, im in the computer lab blogging away with stupid QingLun staring into my computer. Well, im with my Pipa nails on, so dun blame me for any typo err.

Last night, i didnt have the time to blog, because i was busy on the phone with QingLun. What were we talking about? Nothing! We were just crapping away... talking about certain politics and also about his relationship problems. And of course, mine too... but, what do i have? Actually, kinda nothning to talk about. We talked till dawn, and its really super tiring... We were on bed, with the phone, talking away till his parents scolded him. Stupid QingLun, really stupid... still staring into my computer. Goodness, he was trying to delete off my entry! We didnt fight, just a few kitty scratches. He is currently trying to book slots for his driving lessons, and trust me... its expensive! Judging from the amount appearing on his screen, its as expensive as normal lessons with ur teachers. I think its more expensive, because it summed up to $600 plus for him.

Well, back to yesterday's events. I woke up kinda late, because im so free! Its the only day that im free, and it felt like heaven. But well, with unfeeling aches all over my body, i was kinda reluctant to go out. However, i promised to go over to DrGoh's house to celebrate CNY, as well as to surprise Alan, Clarence and DrGoh with a birthday party.

I was at home, notating my composition in numerical notations for YiLeng, JiaJin and MinHui. Finally, its confirmed that we'll be practicing on Friday, which is tomorrow, around noon. How exciting? I just cant wait to hear how it'll sound... because the MIDI sounds really different. The real instruments are going to add on with more emotions, and defintely less restricted with the rhythm and time. But, how clean will it sound? Thats another problem...

I bathed, changed and wore something really casual. Then, i found my blue shirt! Remember? The one that resembled something similar to Marie's shirt. Last time, when i wear it, they'll say that Marie and i are a couple. Please! For the sake of humanity, good thing that it stopped. Why? Because i thought that i lost it! Let me tell u where it was. Remember our trip last year to Sentosa? Its our class outing, and we invited several other people as well. Remember? Mark and SiHan got dunked into the pool several times. Now u remember! Well, i kept my wet and dirty boxers and shirts inside this plastic bag. And when i got home, i forgot to wash it! I left it there in a corner for 6 months! 6 freaking months! Can u imagine? The dampness... and all the dirty thing decomposing inside that bag? For 6 months!

So, now Mom washed it, and it doesnt smell. Im glad. I wore it to DrGoh's house! I took bus 22, and it took me an hour plus to get there. Its a direct bus, so im more or less quite safe. My memory was failing me, i thought that im lost. But well, im still kinda good, i remembered where it was. Ive been there a few times, and going there alone aint a problem. Somebody was supposed to go with me, but... nevermind, im used to it. Who? QingLun! He went kite flying...

EeWei opened the door for me, and hell... almost everybody was there already! I sat down, and got myself a few pieces of pizzas. It was good, i loved the food there. Mark came after me, and more people came afterwards. I watched the TV with SiHan, and saw this TV show, that promotes bad taste for dancing. Its like a competition, just that the contestants were all really bad. The better ones were like... barely compatible with those in America. Its kinda sad... and moreover, the judges were exaggerating and disgusting. We saw this really ugly dancers with their uglier dance steps, and the judges shouted and cheered on. Is there an justice in the world?

So, DrGoh came, and he gave many nasty comments which sounded so super funny. Well, after that, we watched the singing of the 'American Idol', which really threw Singapore's idol back to his mud hut. Come on, we really cannot compare to America in every ways, other than being really good with our Singlish and our cannot lose character. Well, we suck, we have to admit. Moreover, there are no talents in Singapore, its a known fact! Creativity? Still trying. Virtuosity? Far from it, dream on Singapore.

I was eating non-stop, because there are so many things to eat. Good food! Then, Jeremiah and gang came. We were playing a really stupid game which started accidentally. DrGoh was getting everybody to try blow out a candle. The candle was on the table, and we're supposed to blow it out. Mark did it 4 times, and Ruth did it twice. Adams was kinda eager to blow it out, but he failed for every try. It was really funny... We sat there watching everybody try it. Then, suddenly... DrGoh said that the Pipa player has to try too. So, i had no choice. I tried... and i... failed. Of course, loser. SiHan was really funny, he was blowing very hard, and he kept on going. It was hilarious. Alan said that he is an ugly wind player, because he looked funny when he blew the candle. Moreover, i think he spat more than he blew. The table was sparkling clean, because everybody spat on it. Its really fun. Then, Clarence said that we've to wash the oranges after playing... because they were on the table, beside the candle.

So, we were all lazing around, giving our souls to the TV. Soon, i left because im afraid that i might not be able to catch the last bus. I got home, and i overslept, the bus was parking already! I woke up, and i hurried to the door, and the Indian bus driver was dropping his jaw.

From there, i walked home, and tried my best to avoid the public. So, i walked home, singing away and thinking about some stapled thoughts. Simply just regurgitating, surging back my thoughts and my anger. I chilled... and released my thoughts down the toiletbowl and flushed it all down.

At night, after trying to blog, and talking to QingLun over the phone, i didnt find enough time for myself. I sent him many of my old compositions, and we discussed it over the phone. It was funny, to hear my old compositions and how i got to learn how to compose. Well, its just a hobby, and of course... nothing to compare with people like my composer schoolmates. But, i think i pursue more of the aesthetic elements in music, rather than bargaining with intellectual materials. So, that led on with other talks... and slowly, from the computer to bed.

I slept late, and i woke up really early today. I hurried to the toilet, and tried waking Rit up. Its horrible! Being some so... responsible from his appearance, he woke up terribly late. I took a cab down to school and got my Pipa. Had breakfast, and i even had to buy Rit his breakfast! I was left with not a single cent. Im poor and really broke. What i did was just trying to bargain with the stall auntie, so that she'll sell me the food at a cheaper price... just 80 cents. Im so pathetic!

Rit overshot, which i cannot understand why. And i had to walk all the way down to the Kopitiam area down the street. Its so far away! I should have just taken a bus down instead of needing to wait for him, and to serve him like a slave. I was furious, and he was still smiling away. So, we took the cab down... and he paid. Well, everybody was there already.

Emmanuel was playing this white Piano, and YanChong and Sarah were standing there... still waiting for the person to set up our seating position and our microphones. I was sitting there, wondering where im going to put my scores. Rit didnt tell me that we've to bring our own! He brought his, and so... YanChong, Rit and i were sharing on music stand, while Sarah sat near to Piano to share her scores with Emmanuel. It was really pathetic. Nothing was organised... and i think that im having second opinions about Rit.

We went to eat, and Emmanuel went to buy a new shirt for us. The lady was saying that we look kinda detached and dun really look good. So, while he went to shop for our clothings, we headed to eat. Rit and i shared a drink, which he paid for, while they ate. Im so broke, and it was arranged that we'll have their buffet after the whole performance. So, i made space for the buffet later... and we headed back for the rehearsal.

It started soon, with the improvised introduction by the Piano, which led to a mess of Chinese instruments and a struggling bass line by the Cello. Well, the whole performance was bad, because its not organised and nothing was planned or played like we've rehearsed. It was bad... really bad. But to them, i bet it sounded good.

Other than the bad entertainment from our poor little instruments, they had this acrobat troupe from HeBei, and they were really cool! From their rehearsals, i thought that they are some kinda cheating acrobats. But well, its real! Its like those on TV! This is the first time, or probably second, i cant remember, watching this kinda acrobatic performances live! I was shocked, and i was dropping my jaw and turning my neck to watch the performance.

By the way, stupid QingLun and i just fought. I was blogging about him staring into my computer, and he wasnt happy... so he tried closing my window! I was so shocked, so i gave him a few slashes. It left a scar there, and i bet he likes it.

Moreover, lets get on, just in case QingLun turns around to see what im typing. Lets get this paragraph up.

Up.

Up.

Up.

Up.


Up.

Up.

Higher up.

Good, now he wont be able to see a thing. Anyway, lets go on with life. We ended the performance late. I was kinda reluctant, but Emmanuel needed a Pipa player who can improvise to play again next week. Well, after eating the buffet... and i agreed to help him again. But trust me, im really reluctant, in fact... dreadful. I really dun wish to play again, unless its more efficient. The songs that we played were all screwed up, with really abrupt modulation or change of time signatures. I was really... struggling hard to catch my breath and to catch up.

He just turned around, u know who, and im lucky that he didnt see anything. He complained that my typing is irritating. To a certain extent, yes.

I better hurry, because i need to head to National Library for the rehearsal later with LimChooLi. Ive half an hour left. Anyway, i was practicing just now... and found myself kinda more composed, but less emotional than the rehearsals that we had. Intonation wise, im kinda afraid that it might be unstable. It sounded alright that day, but im sure on stage it'll go like crazy. Its fated, im cursed. Im a cursed performer who cannot perform. What else am i of any use?

I took a cab back to school, thanks to Rit who dropped me near NAFA. He headed somewhere else after that. As for me, im thankful that he was willing to fetch me to school, because im really broke, and carrying such a massive instrument. Alright, its not very big. While having buffet before that, we were talking and the ladies were talking about learning Piano, and talking about their experiences with music. Well, its funny to hear them talk... and one of them asked Emmanuel whether he was from ACS. I kept quiet and drank my juice, hoping that she'll not ask any further.

Im now in school, practicing and blogging. QingLun couldnt take my typing skills, and he went outside just a minute ago. Great! A success!

Im heading off now. Hopefully it'll be a good performance tonight! I told LimChooLi that i'll be there to help her carry her things. Anyway, we need to run through again. It has never been once that we've played through without looking at the scores. I hoped that we've memorised well...

Alright, im signing off. I'll be back tonight to blog about the performances and stuff. Have a good evening my friends. I wonder am i performing for musicians, or the general public. I hope its the hoi polloi!