Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Vivify

Im currently accepting a file from YouGuo, he insists that he'll send me... though he told me that he wanna go sleep. Well, its ChenYi's piece for Pipa and Percussion. I need it for my presentation tomorrow. I'll be touching on crossed cultural pieces, and all of my examples are Pipa pieces! Im so scared that DrKan might fail us... Fairul didnt find much recordings, i found one that is by a BassClarinet, which has influences from the Gamelan. Well, other than that... i think he'll get some Debussy's pieces. Anyway, i got Pipa pieces by TanDun, ZhouLong, BrightSheng and ChenQiGang. Im still downloading a TanDun's piece, written for Cello, children chorus and the ancient BianZhong, with orchestra. Well, that one is pretty cool. I heard it before, all of the movements, and i find some very touching... especially with the cultural themes, Chinese ideas transcribed over into Western's compositional techniques.

Anyway, i went to school today, and headed for the ensemble. There was nothing to do, because there wasnt any LiuQin for me. So, i left while they were practicing... I headed into the computer lab, and started searching for links that'll help in our presentation. I searched on composers such as BrightSheng and others... Then, after that... i headed for lunch with QingLun. We went over to BrasBasah, and had a good time there.

We first shopped for some art craft. He needed some materials to do something for his girlfriend. How nice? So, he kept asking for my suggestions. Actually, he had it all planned already... but just still fluctuating between what materials to use. So, we spent a long time finding materials and talking about other things.

Fuck, i have missing DVDs and CDs... what the hell? Im never going to lend anybody anything again! Why? Because they dun bother returning till i have to ask. And what if i forgets? Then its my loss... right? So, thats it. No more borrowing of CDs ever again in my life! No more! I lost a DVD on TanDun's piece, featuring WuMan on the Pipa and the Kronos StringQuartet. What the hell? How come its missing? Must be some people who'd borrowed but not returned, or forgotten to return. I wonder who...

Im so fucked up now. The internet cannot open the page where i loaded the piece halfway. Shit! Open it! Just open it! Im complaining to QingLun and Dedric now. Its surprising that they're still awake. I keep losing my CDs, and especially Pipa ones. Im getting really fed up. Im not going to lend it to anybody anymore! Fuck!

Dedric is telling me to go buy them back. Its not about buying... its about on the loss all the time. I feel that im being used all the time... and i feel really sick about it. Nevermind, when Samuel comes back, i hope i can get it from him instead. Sorry and thanks to Samuel for sending me stuff... and that time he really sent me alot. They are really useful now. Thanks so much. And sorry to bother YouGuo just now... feel so bad now.

As for ChenYi's piece, i think i wont have it tomorrow at all. No more... YouGuo went to sleep because the file transfer rate was too slow...

Anyway, had lunch with QingLun at Jack'sPlace. I treated him to lunch... and he was using this old technique to get people to treat. But even with his tricks, im nice enough... because i made up my mind to treat him. So, we ordered lobster bisque, 2 steak and escargots. I could tell that its his first time, because he didnt know what to order... and he doesnt know how he wants his steak to be done. He ate escargots for the first time, because he doesnt know how to use the tools. Its really funny! But well, its really nice to eat with him... we talked about some plans, and some other issues... QingLun is such a businessman, with his political mindset. He should be shot dead, but without people like that... its hard to do things. Anyway, QingLun was really funny! I kept laughing... He said that the lobster bisque was just fine. Its like the best soup! I drank so happily... then i suddenly remembered DrMai telling me that i cannot take seafood. I was like... trying to pretend that she didnt say it...

Anyway, we ate for $37... i think. Its really cheap anyway, and we left back for school. I took my umbrella and left the restaurant. He was still thinking of the materials... We headed back to NAFA, and only to find Fairul starting on the history work which will be due tomorrow. Its impossible to postpone it, because its our presentation. The slot is fixed...

I started telling him about my ideas, but he doesnt really wanna do it my way. So, i respected his way... and seeked DrKan for some help. My interpretation might be very different... because i wanna really do it into depth and step by step. But well, the focus of the question doesnt really just lie in the cultural exchange of Western and the Eastern. Somehow, DrKan told Fairul to do it in a way that we'll be analysing the composer's work and through them... we'll describe why the composers have chosen to write this way. Anyway, its a tough thing. Studying about composers is like studying deeper than what he thinks. Its kinda difficult, in fact... i dun think that the composers intended things to turn out this way too.

Anyway, i got ChenYi's piece from XueQi. Thanks to her so much! She is my saviour.

He told me to go have dinner... because he'll prefer doing alone. So, we did quarrel and Audrey was there watching. It was terrible... i was really pissed, because he doesnt listen somehow. And even if i agreed with his things, he'll give that black face. Its naturally black at first, but darker... And so, with his lazy attitude and that face, i dun really know how am i going to focus and do. Anyway, its so last minute! I hate it... i told him to do earlier with me, but he insisted that we start today.

So, tomorrow is the presentation, and we dun have enough examples to cover up for my Pipa pieces. Great... i hope it'll turn out to be some Pipa modern pieces lecture recital by me.

Anyway, i spent a hell lot of time doing the paperwork of ChenYi and ZhouLong. Im planning to reach school at 7 in the morning to start on BrightSheng, MinoruMiki, TanDun and ChenQiGang. I think there is too many Chinese composers... and im doing it all. They all have the same background actually... all are classically trained, and interrupted with the cultural revolution... and now composing in a Western style with Eastern ideas and elements. Orientalism...

LianWei is asking whether i feel stressful now. Well, not really... if i cant finish my work tomorrow before harmony, i'll definitely feel a hell lot of stress. Anyway, im lucky that my presentation for harmony isnt tomorrow. It was supposedly tomorrow, because of YuJing, but well... YongRui changed it back. Thanks to our leader hero. Goodjob...

Im so tired... and im thinking of tomorrow's nightmare. I think we'll flop... really...

Its not to vilify now. Its vivify!