Saturday, January 13, 2007

Nascent

Just had a wonderful performance at NYP. I was in school, still thinking of slacking tonight, but then... YanJun reminded me that ive a performance! Im so screwed up, and i think i should read the time management book that KaiXiang was reading today.

I didnt wake up late today. But well... i went to photocopy the scores for YanYu and went to the bank, thus... ive to take a cab down because... i'll be late if i dun. Alright, my time is still quite screwed. I gave the woman the scores, and told her to copy it while i go to the bank to update my bankbook. Well, the bank was open, but the machine aint working. Great... I walked back to get my scores and luckily i took out some money from my Mom's drawer today, or else i'll be dead broke. Well, ive been spending money like wasted air. I think i must really plan my time well, and of course... plan and manage my money properly. Im not even sure whether ive recieved the $500 and $540 in my account or not. Im so... screwed.

So, i gave YanYu the scores, and she doesnt really seem quite happy for me to learn the piece. She told me that she'll rather me go learn 'BaWangXieJia' for the moment. Well, ive no choice... and i'll prefer playing this piece, because i'll be performing it afterall. But, i think im going to flop big time, because she asked for quite a chunk from me. Firstly, its all back down to basics. We're digging deeper and deeper into the bones of Pipa playing. Ive to excavate and start hollowing my basics. I played a few notes, and tried understanding practically some concepts which she has been talking about. Ive changed, and she said that ive improved as compared to before, but i dun realise it. Anyway, i still think im far from where i should be. We went through the score together, and corrected some parts of the scores. Then, i'll be playing my other piece for her next week. We'll be playing the 2 pieces during different weeks. Anyway, both pieces have totally different characters, thus i think its a good contrast for my practical exam. Well... sometimes i dun understand why things are like that. Then, i asked YanYu about her Pipa students, and she told me she doesnt have much. I dunno her students, and all i know is that im currently her one and only professional student. Anyway, i asked if she wanna accept new students, and she asked if there are any who'll wanna learn under her. I told her theres aplenty after the competition last year, but i told them that she's too lazy to teach. Well, she laughed and told me to give them her contact, and arrange an appointment to see how. She also asked if theres any with good quality, like me. Like me? Well, im a good quality student! Sounds flattering...

I left the place, with wet shoes and no umbrellas. Its still raining and i had to take the MRT down to school. Its impossible to get to school within half an hour, thus... i... had to just rush there by MRT. Im not taking the cab anymore, for no apparent reasons. So, the MRT took its own sweet time to Novena. I couldnt add value to my card, because the minimum amount would be $10. Ive only $5 to spare, thus i bought a one way ticket.

Its so uncomfortable to walk with wet shoes, and slightly wet pants. I was having a hard time in the train, and then in the bus. Took bus 56 to school, from Novena. I was late for class, almost half and hour late. QingLun was there already, but he was all wet. His hair was... funny. KaiXiang came later than me. When i was there, Jonathan was playing. I think he has got the notes there, and partly the music. However, i think he hasnt reached the performance standard yet. Performing would be totally another different factor. Well, sometimes u see people who can bring out themselves on stage very well, although they arent technically or practically very advanced. Well, the concept is that we've to balance out both of such elements... being performaning and musical factor respectively. As for me, i know im musically not there, thus... at times i can try to boost my performance with little tricks and honestly, not tricks, but known as a stage presence. Then, next was JunRu. He played this fast piece, and i found his intonation rather shaky. In fact, i think shaky melodies are fatal... because its like the most important thing in a piece. QingLun played well, though with a bad introduction, the whole piece managed to bring itself together fluently. KaiXiang didnt wanna play because he bit his lips. I missed out ShuMin's performance, but with previous judgements and my knowledge of the piece, i can quite figure out what are the problems, or what were, or what will it be. Pulling notes, similar notes of different strings not in tune, the half tremolo, the dotted rhythm, the different tonal colour, dynamic changes and some others. Well, these are basic music blocks, but i think its quite duly scattered throughout the piece. Proportionately, there are many things to consider, and thus it'll result in a matter of compromising between 2 building blocks. I think its common, and we're not professional afterall, we cannot fulfill every factor easily. Anyway, im worried for my own piece next week. What should i play? Probably... the pieces im learning? Or something else?

After class, we headed for lunch. We were all famished, munchies and flying light and lighter! Well, its Jason's birthday, and he was so nice! He treated us all to pohpiahs. Its delicious, and even better with the sincerity. Well, thanks Jason and happy birthday to u! QingLun and i sat together and we shared the plate. I cant remember what we talked about, but i guess its something revolving around the usual few topics.

They headed back to school. With JunRu's unbrella, QingLun and i went to buy a drink. He wanted to drink the bubble tea, but i couldnt drink any... so i didnt. We headed back to school after that. Leaving the umbrella to dry, i headed to the computer lab to listen to Dedric's composition. I think its alright, though it can be more simplified during the introduction. I watched a movie with Tommy and Fairul.

Thats the moment when YanJun message me. Thanks to her message, or else i wouldnt even realise! I quickly took a cab back home to get myself changed! I was so nervous... I left the VCDs with Fairul, and took the Pipa home with me. With little money, i had to risk it and just take a cab home. Anyway, it was like jamming at the highway, so i took the time to take a break.

At home, i took out my long black pants and my socks. Alvin told me that they'll prove the clothings... so, i just took my Pipa and nails along. Found a black unbrella, and found it rather cool... so, i stole it and left home. I think it belongs to my grandma. Anyway, i walked to NYP, because bus 76 left the bus-stop already when i was reaching. I had to walk to NYP from home, and it took me some time to reach.

When i was there, XiuHua passed me the clothings. I found it quite nice, though the size was extremely huge. Actually, i can just wear a large, or at times, a middle. Mostly, an extra large would fit well. Im so flexible... or inconsistent? Anyway, i headed to the backstage straight away and tuned the Pipa. Saw WuYouYuan there, and waved hello and talked abit. Well, he's still very nice. YiLeng was there, and JiaJin too. I felt so raw... like some slab of meat. I headed to the backstage to line up with the other Pipa players... and asked the Indonesian girl what will the programme be. U know what? Ive only rehearsed once with them, and i didnt even go through the scores much.

On stage, i was sightreading almost 80% of the scores. I had to focus hard and play softer during entrances which are quite dependable on the conductor. It was complicating on stage, and i played quite a few wrong notes, though i must say that im quite impressed that i can sightread on stage during the performance. I know, its bad practice. But, such sightreading habit improves when i stress myself like that on stage. MikeChiang was the conductor, our CSCO conductor too. He played a piece with a Violinist, and it was well recieved by the audience. I think mostly were girls who are fascinated by his charm. All the time, it has always been the case... i dunno why. MikeChiang arranged me to sit infront, with the Pipa principal girl from NYP. Knowing that its almost my first time playing those pieces, he still put me there? Its like so risky! I thought that i'll be sitting all the way at the back with YanJun. But well... sadly, ive to stress myself infront.

The concert is another success! It has been hot since 2 years ago. I must say that its been improving and NYP has gone further, and much more under the baton of MikeChiang. He has the deal to do big things and make things different and unique. I must say, its impressive and rather capable! I enjoyed playing with them, though waiting backstage has this very disturbing feeling on me... Anyway, i remembered playing 2 years ago, with YiChun and PuayKhoon watching. Then, a year ago, was Samuel and Fairul watching. This year, sadly... ive nobody to ask. In fact, its like so last minute... because i dun even know that ive to perform! Its so stupid, and its such a bad thing. I feel so guilty. No more next time, WeiKang.

After performing, i joined them for supper. YongSoon was there today, and he congratulated me for my second prize, and he knows that the first prize was left empty. In fact, he knew the judges already, but he couldnt say... because it was his teacher who revealed it to him. He studies under LiuChangFu, u know... one of the judges last year. Anyway, then i asked him about his studies and i might need to seek help from him. He is very welcoming, and helpful. Before even asking, he already 'offered' help. Well, thanks YongSoon. I think i'll see u at BeiJing probably this year. MiYan might be going too... great.

YiLeng was having fever, but she wanna join us for supper, and JiaJin was telling her not to go. In the end, they went. The girl always win. So, ate with WeiMing, YongSoon, YiLeng, JiaJin and gang. Then, i left earlier with WeiMing. I accompanied him to his bus-stop... and then decided to take a bus with him, because it'll stop at my place too. I actually wanted to walk home... because its so nice to walk and listen to songs in the rain. In fact, i'll love to play in the rain again. I remembered playing in the rain at Kenny's place a few years ago.

Anyway, we were talking about music and he was clearing some doubts about music diploma and performance diploma. Anyway, i think the music diploma should come with a performance diploma too, its more the worth.

Great, im home now, and im freezing cold. Should i go bath? Im afraid that i might not wake up in time tomorrow... because i promised to be there. Im going to be so worn out again tomorrow. I need somebody to help me write my biography! Help! Someone please help? QingLun said that my resume wont be quite interesting... and i think i can agree with him. Well... im not like him, so many competitions. Well, he has his teacher to help him, i dun. And afterall... ive been in this circle for only 5 years.

I think its growing slowly. I think im watching it grow, and i can foresee that it might work out well. Im not sure, but i'll love to...