Saturday, January 20, 2007

Universitarian

The nitpickers, the whiners, the pettifoggers are everywhere. Petty and obsolete.

Ive dreamed about waking up beside u every morning. But only to realise that we've forgotten about each other after dawn. Its rather sad to live through another empty morning... but, though ive thought about that as a life without purpose... i'd figured that i'll hate it, but i'll enjoy it the most. Afterall, its better than nothing.

Today, my whole day revolved around rehearsing at NUS. I woke up earlier, and took a shower before leaving for the MRT station. I took the MRT down to Clementi, and the journey took me... around 45 minutes? Well, was sitting on the MRT, listening to songs... and then there was this couple who came in. Theres this Malay lady who sat 2 seats away from me, and her boyfriend, this really extremely very huge man. He occupied 2 seats opposite me, and he attracted everybody's attention, because he spoke rather loudly too. Then, 2 ladies left, and the seats between the Malay lady and i were emptied... and i thought, im dead meat. The fat man quickly ran for the seats, and he landed beside me. I almost died... Anyway, on my left, theres this other Malay lady, who was reading some sacred text. And then, i saw her lips moving... so i took off my ear piece and realised that she's talking to me. She told me that the fat man didnt bath, because he stinks. So bad right? After saying, she held her daughter's hand and alighted. Well, its pretty wierd, i think its an Islam cabin or something... everybody on the cabin were almost Malay. Nothing racist, just a comment.

I was late, and i walked to meet WanYing and Kenny. Then, we took a bus down to NUS. We took this bus which doesnt have air-con. Goodness, i thought that buses like this dun exist anymore! I figured that they should be extinct, because i havent took a bus without air-con for ages... since those days when we go for excursions to the zoo in primary school. Well, it was so packed, we were squeezing right in the front with the driver. Then, slowly... more people alighted, and thankfully nobody boarded the bus before that.

The CO room aint at some wierd residence area anymore. Last time, its so far that we've to travel all the way like hell to get there. Anyway, now its more convenient. We walked down, and i entered this bricked building. I think its rather nice, its like some cottage. Right...

There is this hall, where they have vending machines. There were tables for gatherings, and i think its really quite comfortable to have rehearsals like that. We used this big studio, while there were many other art groups which used smaller studios to rehearse. The store room is larger than usual, because it also accomodates other art groups, like the Indian instruments and probably others as well. Well, its like a building for the arts. I love it there.

Rehearsal was rather boring. I played, and suddenly, there was a part which i thought i played wrongly, because there was only me! Then, i recalled that i thought this passage before back in AJC, and its a solo part which serves as a dialogue between the solo ErHu and Pipa. It was so embarrassing, because i didnt focus... i just played on like that. Anyway, i hate that part, because it obviously aint going to sound nice on the Pipa. Its written at a very high range, and moreover its in a key which doesnt quite favours the Pipa.

I was practicing and running through the hard parts of the scores, then suddenly, when i looked up, LumYanSing waving to me and i hastily waved back. He is a very friend looking conductor, who was previously the assistant conductor of SCO, now as a the resident conductor of NUSCO. For this upcoming concert, he'll be playing a famous ErHu solo piece, with the accompanying orchestra, 'LanHuaHua'. Well, its the first time ive heard him play. He is usually busy conducting, and not much of a performer, though with rich background of his performance experience was well as being the concertmaster of SCO a decade ago. It was fun going through the pieces with them. I think that people at NUS are generally different... What do u think?

During break, they brought out food and they gathered outside the studio to have some kinda fellowship. I think its a very good kind of activity which helps in bonding the CO. This is how it should be for orchestras outside. I think they should learn from NUSCO. Anyway, its my first practice, i havent seen much though. Soon, there'll be more to come.

After the whole rehearsal, YiLeng has to go through another piece, and so... Kenny and i headed for dinner first. WangTianDe called me, and discussed about the Pipa. Well, i'll be going China anyway... so, i thought that i'll decide only after coming back from China, because i'll be looking at other Pipas as well anyway. YanYu will be there to help me too. Thanks so much to him for the concern!

We ate at a coffeeshop, and after that... we both went with our own ways. I took bus 166 home. The journey took away my life. Im joking, but i bet u wished it did. I slept for the whole journey, imagine. My hair was like stuck to the window, and my neck almost broke off.

Now im home, im so extremely bored. Think about it, the whole day wasted at NUS. Anyway, this will go on till March... i think. Im going to skip some practices, and only go for the harder ones and those which are nearer to the concert. Probably during Febuary...